AREA Community - The Largest CG Forum on the Web
3ds Max Ideas
Welcome to the new Autodesk 3ds Max Ideas Community! For information on this space, please see this article.
New Idea

Standalone RAM Player

by Participant KinetixUser on ‎03-16-2018 03:13 PM

This is a request to simply port out RAM Player functionality to a standalone, lightweight viewer. 

RAM Player could still remain as a tool within MAX, but a standalone clone of RAM Player would give us the option to check the progress of a rendered sequence of frames without interrupting the rendering process.

A standalone RAM Player would also be useful as an image viewer.  We could simply associate image file types to RAM Player so that single images and image sequences could be viewed quickly from the Windows file system without the overhead of loading Max or other programs, like After Effects.

Thanks for reading!

So far I'm loving the improved Path Deform modifier. There are issues with object normals if you choose Flip. And the Up Vector has some usefulness, but it still lacks in a couple areas that I think should be improved upon. 

First off the most serious one. If you happen to use Flip to reverse the axis, it reverses your normals. And you won't notice them unless you use a material that requires proper normals; SSS, glass, etc. This also causes issues with Alembic exporting whether you use the Normals modifier to correct it or not. Normals will flicker back and forth in Unity from any object that I have this Path Deform with Flip checked. There are workarounds, but require planning ahead for how you model your object on a specific axis, and where your starting point is on the path.  I'd like the option to flip the normals back without having to throw a normals modifier on top of the Path Deform to restore them, or just prevent it from flipping the normals in the first place. 

For the Up Vector:

It's nice to have a Look At option, but many times I just want it to align to the Axis Alignment of a helper, or just the world. I was animating a long object along a pretty complicated path that goes in many directions, and at some point, it is almost impossible to stop the twisting of the object without manually setting up an equally complicated Driven Rotation graph, when just having it align to the Z-Axis stops the twisting in my scenario. I basically had to fudge it by using the Look At assigned to a helper, and move that helper far, far away on the Z-Axis, to keep the edge I wanted facing up, up. The Adaptive Up Vector more often than not, just fails to keep shapes from twisting along the path unless you are working with very simple paths.

The Use Spline Normal option is pretty much useless unless you free hand draw a spline on an object. And as soon as you want to edit it or add a modifier on top of it, you may screw up those normals with no way to edit them back to your liking (that I've found). It would have so much more use if we were actually able to edit the normals of any spline, just like we can use the Edit Normals modifier to manually edit the normals of a mesh. We need that modifier for splines to make good use of the Use Spline Normals option.

Another option for alignment could be something similar to Cinema 4D spline rails, or rail path. Basically another spline running along next to the one we are path deforming to, that controls the alignment of the object following, growing, (whatever you are using Path Deform for) along the spline.

I am not the only one who thinks this, the audio support for the program is (not the main focus of the application, I am aware) not the best. It only supports .WAV files and it must be a 16-bit wav file. Here's where the issues arise:

Not all modern audio formats are in .WAV format. Some are in MP3, OGG, WMA, FLAC, M4A (to list a few) and so on. Converting any of those to WAV would actually consume more hard drive space than if the proper codec was supported and the file was used as-is. In conjunction to that, some people create music of different bit depths, and it is not always 16-bit. Sometimes it's 24-bit, or 8-bit. Both of which, the program has issues with interpreting when playing back the audio.

I've heard from others that ProSound in 3ds Max is quite buggy and should be looked at as well. If a 24-bit wav file is loaded into the sound system and played back during the animation, you hear nothing but a bunch of static. That is not what I wanted to hear.

Also, the "audio float controller" should be given some more controls and flexibility. Right now it's a few basic options, such as oversampling, absolute value, which axis to affect and so on. The oversampling is capped at 1,000 for some reason, which in some cases, is not enough to smooth out the audio to get a fluid-like animation from it. Can we get it increased to 10,000 or a higher number?

I'm sure if the application got some better support for audio, there are people out there (I am one of them) who would use it's audio capabilities more.

What do you guys think? Should this be a thing to consider?

Extrude behave like Qmesh

by Enthusiast Xerges on ‎02-26-2018 07:43 AM

Extrude in Max should have the option to behave like Qmesh and perform automatic welding, bridge or clean up topology depending on the situation,

like ZBrush Qmesh does:

Support Python 3.X

by Advocate nnikbin on ‎03-14-2018 01:46 AM

As the End Of Life date (EOL, sunset date) for Python 2.7 is set to 2020, I think supporting python 3.X sooner than later will be highly beneficial.

by Participant zorbs on ‎03-13-2018 11:56 AM

Please its time to upload CAT RIG, autodesk looks like dont care about 3ds max animations, but for us its importante. We need a simple system to create a

Root Motion at catrig without bugs, please. Its time to create it without bugs. Games industry need it. 

Sorry if it is not a good idea to post an idea about this idea forum instead Max.

But I think is quite evident it looks messy and makes reading ideas from others more difficult.

Tested in different browsers with similar results.

Max changes continuously to move mode without being requested when doing multiple operations. For example step build and extend, you start with select, use extend and when using right click now you have move instead.

When you discover you have clicked the object with the move tool instead the select tool you always wonder if you have not moved a bit the object.

I simply would prefer Max didn't default continuously to the move tool. 

Overhaul flex modifier

by Enthusiast Tochukwunwankwere20 on ‎02-26-2018 09:39 AM
Flex modifier is old and quite impractical.
It needs to be modernised, with added features, and especially useful in animating soft bodies with real life algorithms.
Right now, it seems to have only positional springs. How about rotational spring?, where it's application may cause objects or parts of objects to curl, rather than just displace linearly.

When performing an EXTRUDE / BEVEL / INSET in editable poly there should be a parameter for # of segments

Import / Merge Multiple

by Contributor jacob on ‎03-12-2018 05:58 PM

It would be a big time saver to be able to import / merge / Xref - multiple files at a time.

Including a drag and drop from explorer into a max window

In the case of drag and drop

Basic usage would be select multiple files to import, drag from explorer UI onto max window, click to place each item as it imports (snap optional)

in the case of menu import/merge/xref

just select multiple files select import and click to place.

Shift+Drag for extrude and inset

by Enthusiast Xerges on ‎02-26-2018 07:33 AM - last edited on ‎02-26-2018 07:39 AM |

Shift key on faces should behave like shift key with edges,

If you transform polygons while pressing shift it should extrude the polygons (or inset if you are scaling instead of moving).

To not lose the duplicate behaviour it has now (shift+drag to duplicate polygons) the duplicate polygons should happen with a different shortcut, could be control+v(like clone object), control+shift, alt+shift…

Auto load texture on Import/Merge

by Contributor doomgravex on ‎03-05-2018 10:54 PM

When importing Models from a Library organized in folders 3DS could not find the textures if we do not relink or target them.

It would be great if when importing Max would search for textures in folders relative to the imported file.

This simple fix would allow to extract models and use them directly from extracted folder without worring about textures.

Another solution could be a Copy relative textures to scene folder option when importing. Would simplify the process but with a less efficient way for Hdd.

Hope you find this Idea Interesting!

So there's a way to set the overall intensity and colour of grid lines, sure.

but that doesnt help with differentiating the colours between the different grid lines.

the issue is the raw numbers for the grid lines: 
heres an example. if the colour is set to black, and intensity set to 10:
-origin lines will be black
-minor grid lines will be 10
-major lines will be, like, 9 or something (which is too close to the minor lines, so they are hard to pick out
so if you increase the intensity to 100 to try and pick them out better: 
-the minor lines will be 100
the major lines will be 90
so the major lines are still suuuuuper close to the minor lines, making them still hard to see because this is still the same difference in intensity. changing the colours and intensity only changes the difference between the grid and the background, not the difference between the different grid lines.
Here's a visual example.  
This is the default dark theme showing the viewport with a 1m^3 cube, with grid lines that are hard to tell apart because why:
01.JPGnotice how the major and minor lines are almost impossible to tell apart?
Here's a customised version of that same viewport, with hot pink colours, 120 intensity, and 'invert' ticked:02.JPG

a) the lines are not pink
b) the background is now almost the same colour as the minor lines, which is almost as bad

c) the origin lines are now the same colour as the mesh lines, making everything super frustrating

But at least I can almost tell the minor and major lines apart now, right?

Let me set the colours seperately instead of this weird archaic method.

Just be like Maya's grid colouring options.

Or at the very least, something that works

Because this doesn't

Easy assign hotkey

by Community Visitor PaLE-b on ‎03-08-2018 05:54 AM

Feel painful every time to map hotkey to command you want?

easy way to map hotkey to any button 

like zbrush ctrl+alt click to any command on ui

just use key  on keyboard or make a small Button on toolbar to toggle assign hotkey mode  > click that command you want  > and assign key 

Life with Max will become easier :)

For operations like delta-mush, tension modifier, etc, it's imperative to have an intuitive, user friendly paint tool that can help in transferring vertex data/information between operators. This would be easy to use and prevent the modifier list from looking clunky and confusing.
Especially since most of the capabilities of DCM relies a lot on vertex paint to be used best.
Also, vertex paint needs to be simplified and straight forward.

Spline and particle shaders

by Enthusiast Jan_Brana on ‎03-05-2018 07:00 AM

3dsmax users need quick and easy ways to render out particles and splines without the need to apply geometry to the objects.

Many other software packages already feature dedicated hair or spline shaders you can apply to splines and have them render without the need to turn them into geometry. Lack of geometry speeds up both viewport and output rendering.

The same thing with particles. For example, in Cinema4d if you use the X-Particles plugin, there is a shader where particles will render as 2d dots without the need to apply geometry to each particle for them to become visible. This also speeds up viewport and output rendering.

3dsmax features the Hair And Fur effect which can render 2d hair, but it's limited to hair objects only, and material settings are kept within the Hair And Fur modifier, not as an actual material.

It would be much easier if there was a dedicated Hair/Spline shader for this that can be applied to both splines and Hair And Fur objects.

Spline ShaderSpline ShaderParticle ShaderParticle Shader

Shift extrude Spline at the end

by Contributor info on ‎02-08-2018 08:01 AM - last edited on ‎02-08-2018 08:03 AM |

I would like to see shift extrude for splines. Like the shift exturde in polyobjects.

So i could drag the end vertex of a spline with pressed shift key and add new sepments to the spline.

Precision modeling in Max it's really weird.
Just adding measures and angle control, intersection and perpendicular snaps to lines like autocad would greatly improves Max modeling!
There is also already a script that help drawing lines miauus polyline:

Dynamic Splines in 3ds Max

by Enthusiast visual on ‎02-20-2018 01:20 AM

Dynamic behavior of meshes is a fantastic function in 3ds Max. For example, if I build up a mesh model, and in the end I apply a chamfer modifier on it, I can modify the base model, and the chamfered model changes with it. 

However, if I try to do the same with a spline, the chamfering breaks the dynamic behavior of the spline, and if I modify the original spline, the chamfered spline does not change, its vertices have baked coordinates.

It would be very nice, if the splines in 3ds max would be as dynamic as the mesh objects.

Even better would be, if meshes and splines could have dynamic connections. For example, detaching Mesh Edges to become Splines wouldn't be a single operation, but the detached spline could be a reference of the mesh. So modifying the mesh would affect the spline itself.

Best regards,

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!