AREA Community - The Largest CG Forum on the Web
3ds Max Ideas
Welcome to the new Autodesk 3ds Max Ideas Community! For information on this space, please see the following article: http://autode.sk/3dsMaxFeedbackPost
New Idea
0 Kudos

The Arnold render plugin in 3ds max features some really useful shaders. It would be extremely useful to be able to bake these shaders to files.

0 Kudos

3D Max Heavy Files | Purge

by Contributor Momadarch on ‎04-28-2017 06:33 AM

Hi

I would like to see something to clean up heavy files and remove directly unnecessary parts, Similar to Purge in Autocad.

Regards

ME

I am use 3ds max 2017 no I not upgrade my 3ds max 2018 because 2018 not give mental ray render engine I am working only mental ray render engine. possible to please add mental ray render engine otherwise I can't use 3ds max 2018

Than you

Chris

0 Kudos

3DS Max for Mac?

by New Member nadeeribrahim69 on ‎04-27-2017 11:44 PM

How about a 3ds Max that can run on MAC - I am tired of using more than 1 computer and have to use other systems and programs because of that.. cmon - its time!!!

Floating Menus as Toolbars

by Contributor Xerges on ‎04-27-2017 02:58 AM

New menu tech is great,
faster, stable and much better than before, I love it,
but I'd also would like to see it go further.

Once a menu is detached and become a floating menu I'd like to be able to turn it into a toolbar,
drag it items up and down, or make the text go and see only its icons,
this menus should be dockable,
and we should be able to add/remove items easily,
drag items from one floating menu into another or into a toolbar.

This is the next step in Max customizing options.

Render Multiple Region Areas

by New Member Ellmo1990 on ‎04-26-2017 09:50 AM

It would be nice to be able to add multiple regions of an image to be rendered at the same time in the Render Frame Window, all editable independently. There have been several times where I wanted to re-render a few different areas of reflections in an image and it gets tedious to have to render a region, move region and rescale it, render region, move region and rescale it, ect. This would help save time when having to knock out lots of renders as quickly as possible.

Working as technical illustrator there are alot of occasions where you have to use cameras in orthographic mode (or) just a orthographic viewport. 3dsMax does handle Isometric Views quite well. So 2D pannig would be very welcomed here too (and the possibility to create a ortho camera from view as well, by the way).

This applies to Direct Light View, Orthographic Viewport and Camera with "Orthographic Projection" enabled, did i forget something?

I really can not imagine why some one would restrict this useful feature to point perspectives.

Cheers,

Stephan

0 Kudos

Bug like the logo

by Observer di.alejandro.carbonell on ‎04-25-2017 08:33 AM

Doesn't this bug looks like the old 3dmax logo?

trackview_3dsmax.png

I like the new 2018 interface in 3ds Max, however, working with dual monitors I usually put my Track View on my second monitor.

In all previous versions of 3ds Max windows such as Track View could easily be sized to fill the entire second monitor if desired, and that's usually what I prefer.

But with the latest UI change there is from what I can tell no way to maximize, restore or minimize the Track View like we could in previous versions without doing it manually.

In 2018 double clicking the Track View window frame simply puts Track View below the Track Bar, but in all previous versions this ment maximizing the Track View in the current monitor.

Users need to be able to quickly expand the Track View when needed. This is crucial when working with animation, and likely saves a lot of frustrating manual sizing of the Track View.

From the Solidangle support site:

"3ds Max does not support more recent EXR formats natively, and you may have issues using Arnold generated EXRs in your scenes. EXRs with only one layer should work."

Well, this seems like a no-brainer.

0 Kudos

User-base increaser

by Contributor sidow on ‎04-23-2017 08:16 AM

FAO clown in a suit. AKA CEO, CTO as well as many others.

Please can you Increase the user-base of 3ds max by lowering the price, offering perpetual-licences at about $1500 (Excluding tax) and making free-crippled/low cost versions on Steam etc because otherwise all the other features will be pointless when no one uses 3ds max anymore.

When you have done this, please can you develop 3ds max to have the same VFX capability as Maya. Failure to do this will decrease the user-base for two reasons. The first being that it doesn't meet peoples needs, and the second, being that Autodesk is not serious in its intent to develop 3ds max and that 3ds max is about to be EOL like Softimage. Do not try and deny this Autodesk-personnel! We all know that Softimage has a "bright future" ahead of it.

The user-base is thee most important thing with regard to software that takes ~3 years to learn and you are throwing away users left right and center. You'll not get the adoption-rate for Maya you hope for.

Timeline Range Manager

by Explorer ggrimsby on ‎04-23-2017 06:42 AM

Hello!

I believe it would benefit animators to have a animation range manager build into 3DS MAX.  This has been rebuilt by most of the studios I have worked for because we work with multiple animations in one max file.

Here is a version of this scripted by Dim Walker and modified by myself:

control01.JPG

This version saves the names and ranges into the root Appdata so it transfers with the file. Anyone with the script gets the definitions too.

What can this do?

1)lets you define a named range

2)controls the start and end frame of the timeline

3)delete a named range

4)rename a named range

5)re-define a range's frame start and end

6)Sort named ranges by name or Frame start.

7)Next keyframe/previous keyframe

This makes working with multiple animations in a single MAX file MUCH quicker for the animator and allows easier collaboration.

After 20 years, its time to get this functionality in the software as an included part so that team members and students don't have to install it themselves.  Note that studios could add custom scripting to customize the manager to do other things.  I have mine extended to export out each named range.

Thanks!

-Greg

New VFB Virtual Frame buffer

by Collaborator companioncube on ‎04-22-2017 10:58 AM

So now that we have Arnold it's seriously time for a new framebuffer. Talk with solid angle and look at other examples out there but it's really time. 

some minimum requirements.

-Save versions and various ways to compare

-IPR mode. if you look at the recent Vray Frame buffer updates you can easily use IPR, stop it and start a production render.

-load LUTs and colour profiles.

-Basic Colour correction

-All AOVs and passes in one window with the ability to scroll through while the render continues.

-select objects and/or materials

-pick DOF focus

3dsmax more tablet friendly

by Contributor reallukx on ‎04-22-2017 06:31 AM

Any chance of making 3dsmax more tablet friendly. For years now I'm using wacom intuos tablets with 3dsmax and for years I have to use Q to select things first before moving them because otherwise I'm usually ending with moving things a tiny bit when selecting them. So maybe it's possible to add some option for people using tablet that 3dsmax won't be so sensitive of picking pen touching the surface and not moving the polys, verts etc same time.

Isolate elements

by Explorer redheadx on ‎04-21-2017 10:50 AM

Can feature be added is isolate so that you can also isolate an objects elements as well?

Thanks

Projection systems in most instances require the screen image to have a hard edge.

There is a "fault" in the 3ds max Modify> Spotlight Parameters or Advanced Effects/Projector Map function since it does not offer a setting/option that allows Hotspot/Beam = Falloff/Field.

A simple script setup (provided by Alfred DeFlaminis at tech support) works quite well for a single projector/spotlight but to apply it individually to 40 projector/lights in a large building-projection/mapping visualization is very laborious.

Having an integrated feature would be very useful for projection visualizations and make the projection function in Max behave like it does in the real-world.

Thanks,

Stephen Scott

0 Kudos

Adaptive control for Splines

by Contributor borisk on ‎04-20-2017 04:26 AM

We have Adaptive and Optimize check boxes in Spline Interpolation Roll-out. But will be good have control for Angle threshold.  

Render Elements for Art Renderer

by Explorer DCook01 on ‎04-20-2017 03:57 AM

The Art renderer is great! Love it. I would like the ability to separate the renders  into layers or elements though for post. An ID channel, Z-Depth, spec ect.

Every jobs needs a bit of post.

OpenColorIO / OCIO support

by Enthusiast SuperRune on ‎04-20-2017 01:46 AM

OpenColorIO is becoming a standard for high end visual effects work, and also has benefits when working in visualization. Maya, Houdini and Blender has solutions for it, and it would be great if support for OCIO could be added natively to 3ds Max.

http://opencolorio.org/index.html

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!