AREA Community - The Largest CG Forum on the Web
3ds Max Ideas
Welcome to the new Autodesk 3ds Max Ideas Community! For information on this space, please see the following article: http://autode.sk/3dsMaxFeedbackPost
New Idea

Better Spline Tools

by Participant pmeadows on ‎01-11-2017 07:41 AM

Would be nice to have AutoCAD/Revit style spline editing. Some examples:

1. Spline offset that creates a new spline (unconnected) from the selected spline. (similar to the way AutoCad offsets)

2. Multiple spline offset - set the distance and number of copies.

3. When a spline is open and/or self-intersecting, provide a visual cue as to where it is unconnected and/or crossing itself. (I wrote a script to kind of accomplish this, but it would be good to have natively, like the magenta boxes in Revit)

4. Spline offset preview. (Sometimes I need to offset a spline with the slider to get an idea of how far I need it to offset and then type in the actual value I want. Currently, I use the slider do get an idea of the distance, undo, and then type in the exact value I need.)

5. The ability to detect and remove double/overlapping segments.

6. Built-in ability to flatten splines.

...More ideas for this??

It'd be great to have the possibility to copy-paste a mesh from a scene (sceneA.max) to another one (sceneB.max) with a shortcut.

Like CTRL+C & CTRL+V on gizmo in nuke.

example: in SceneA.max, you select a sphere, you hit the copy shortcut, you go in your second max window, you hit the paste shortcut and your sphere and its modifier stack are merged into the 2nd max scene at the same position, like the standard merge tool.

This one is from my experience of Cinema 4D where you simply place the mouse cursor inside the spinner entry field and roll the mouse up/down to change the values.  In Max the problem/s I have are (1) The teeny-weeny arrows are near impossible to select individually for changing values up or down and (2) I find I need to drag the mouse across the room to change the values by any significant amount.  No doubt there's a setting for that (somewhere) but incorporating the simple "place cursor in spinner and roll mouse wheel" seems so much more intuitive and ergonomic as well.

Align and distribute tools

by Advocate davision on ‎02-10-2017 02:14 PM

We need quick, easy align and distribute tools.  The parametric array feature I already mentioned would make these less useful -- but still they have their place.

Adobe Illustrator and After Effects have very simple functional tools for handling alignment and distribution of objects.  Max should have the same type of functionality.

0 Kudos

Bug like the logo

by Observer di.alejandro.carbonell on ‎04-25-2017 08:33 AM

Doesn't this bug looks like the old 3dmax logo?

Add the possibilty to create point cache for changing topology objects, like complex particle flow system, for example. The integration of the XMesh plugin would be perfect!

Make Autosave Efficient

by Enthusiast zoubein on ‎02-01-2017 02:40 AM - last edited on ‎02-01-2017 02:42 AM |

When you have a heavy scene the autosave function locks up  max and interrupts your work flow. Also sometimes it starts to save when you are in the middle of a complex setup which may lead to a crash. It would be great if the auto save happened without affecting the current session of max. 

Batch Render Menu

by Participant jparkWD9NJ on ‎03-22-2017 09:45 AM

Currently batch menu has duplicate and delete function for editing the list. 

It would be great if we can change the order of the job list by dragging and moving.

I know we can give a priority number but it would've been better to be able to edit the list for organizing purpose. 

It's not intuitive to track job order by looking numbers.

Thanks,

Using the paint brush in the skin modifier can significantly speed up the skinning process. However, on models that have multiple layers of meshes, such as a body wearing a jacket, the paint brush is almost unusable to paint the body underneath. Normally when skinning such a character, I go into the editable poly of the model and hide the surfaces/sub-objects that cover the body underneath to have a better view of the vertices of the body. But even if those surfaces are hidden, the paint brush of the skin modifier will still hit them.  As I understand the functionalities of the paint brush under the hood, it seems that when clicking on the screen, a ray cast is sent to the model from the position of the mouse on the screen and out to hit a surface of a model and get the normal of that surface, allowing to orient the brush correctly. As it is now, that ray cast will hit hidden surfaces, effectively making it impossible to use the brush on a visible surface located underneath the hidden one.

Giving the option to have the brush ignore hidden vertices/polygons would be very helpful to speed up the skinning process of more complex models.

Thanks!

Uvw unwrap as a viewport

by Explorer germain on ‎01-08-2017 07:58 PM

How many have I struggled with rotating an object to look at the unwrapping tweaks while having to dodge the unwrap window on a single-screen desktop. I wish I could dock the unwrap window in a viewport and have it side-by-side with my other viewports.

Kinda goes well with having uvw unwrap as a mode too, don't you think?

Right click on object or sub-object to include assign material and pop-up material browser, also include the small property box so automatically opens compact material editor. It would be also good if a special candy control is created for fast change material properties without opening material editor.

0 Kudos

Colour Music ?

by Observer petitpalat on ‎02-10-2017 02:31 PM

Call it Colour Music. But somehow, I’m intrigued with the possibility, of again coming to participate in this forum, like already from Max 2.5 and then, previously, 3ds DOS. Although my ideas and ways of working, where despite maybe some of the same tools of working i.e. 3dsMax, then things in common they are normally nearly non-existing.

Like for example. We all know about film and film-making, and that a certain amount of images, it leaves us with an idea of a certain movement coming in. Also on the other hand, we also know about so-called pointillism. And that one colour coming next to another colour, it leaves us with a sensation of now even a “third” colour coming in. And then, with film-making and pointillism together, and that only it can be done with Max but in a very special manner, where instead of one picture and then another, it is now one colour and then another.

What happens is that, instead of having images and then for us, movement. It is now colours, one after the other and for us. One or maybe many of them that are already gone, somehow into our dreams and imagination only, and others still coming in. Dream and reality combined and we all know. Take a look at a sunset or a sunrise and how you feel. And then take a picture of it, and one of it is just flat.

Last year I had an intervention with a Chinese film delegation. And they just sat there to what I showed them, jaw dropping and some of them almost in tears.  

PS: I might be ready with, say, a new album, in approximately a month from now

ok its a age old problem, max resets all saved settings when you open and close two max version at once or just randomly it happens, would love there be some fix as it happens in max max versions

@mitfordshawn

Thank you for posting this but it is a defect and not an Idea for a feature request.  

Please log this on the 3ds Max Bug Report page.  Please include more information and steps to reproduce the issue. 

You can also contact me directly if you would like to discuss this issue.

Kelly Michels

Sr 3ds Max QA

3ds Max Beta manager

kelly.michels@autodesk.com

Autodesk, Inc

3D Section Box

by Observer PhilippP on ‎01-11-2017 06:28 AM

I would like to have a 3D-Section-Box like you have in Revit. It would be a great advantage while working on bigger and more complex Scenes.

If I copy the weights assigned to a vertex in the Weight Tool and paste them to a different vertex, the changed weights are not automatically updated in the Weight Tool. The edited vertex must be deselected and then reselected to display the changed weights in the Weight Tool. Please display changes in weight immediately after pasting different values.

0 Kudos

"Flavour" modifiers for animation

by Participant adam on ‎01-05-2017 06:10 PM

Basically a set of presets that can be "added" on top of standard 3dsmax animation, without the requirement of setting up controller lists. These would be processed in a global space context and modify the resultant animation to behave according to the specified "flavour". Possible flavour treatments might be stop-motion, elastic/squash-stretch, slow-in/fast-out, nervous, ...

This would allow animators to work on very simple keyframe setups, but very quickly generate stylistically evocative animation results.

In the context of CAT it is very easy to imagine it as a layer type that can be added to the CAT layers panel; it would probably only have two parameters - the type of "flavour" and the weight of the affect.

I know this is possible with Script/MCG controllers (and others), but a simple loadable method to control this without setting up nested controllers would see it have much broader application and impact. An important point is that the animation "flavour" is processed not on the individual controller level, but in context of the global transform matrix (including it's parent(s) transform context).

Automatron (of the Lot of Robots usage) back in the 2000's mentioned a feature like this (namely stop motion and spring), but I am pretty sure that animation system never got commercially released. That said, in the Automatron context it looks like it was a way to process keyframe animation rather than a real-time modification of the resultant animation that I am talking about.

Year ago I spoke to the CAT developers (before they moved to Softimage) about this, sadly it never saw the light of day, presumably due to the stalled development of CAT since the Softimage (then Autodesk) acquisitions.

Cap Mapping Improvements

by Advisor on ‎03-15-2017 10:52 AM

This was originally posted over at Uservoice but lost in the conversion. Luckily I posted in Area as well... but alas you cannot convert a post to an Idea. So I'm updating here.

Cap Mapping is almost always Useless

In almost all instances where I've used the Cap function (either as a modifier or in the Border mode of Editable Poly) the results invariably require effort to fix.

Here is an example of an object that was split and the interior open borders were capped.

cap-results.png

That is never the expected result!

Here is something far more appropriate:

cap-expected-results.png

Although the program cannot know automatically which edge to use for a UV-flow, it should be able to use the first edge in the border to create a flow. It should also be able to detect a planar surface and use planar mapping coordinates. This should be added to both the Cap Holes modifier and to the Cap function in Editable Poly.

A new Depot Material to store different material versions in a scene

by Enthusiast pokoy on ‎02-04-2017 09:29 AM - last edited on ‎02-04-2017 09:36 AM |

Most shading and rendering artists create numerous versions of a material. Very often, we need to store a material in the scene so it's not lost, either to have a backup version or to have different material versions because different versions need to be rendered out.

Currently, keeping different material versions in the scene is cumbersome and forces us to come up with creative workarounds - carry hidden object with the scene that carry these materials, or create Multi/Sub-Object materials with different material versions nested in it and making sure it's kept in the material editor or assigned to a hidden object etc.

In short, there's no easy dedicated way to store multiple material versions in a scene.

This is easy to solve and can be probably done with very little effort while supporting all renderers. The idea is to have a new material type - let's call it the Depot Material - which can hold materials in a list like, for example, the Multi/Sub-Object Material. The material used for rendering would be simply activated with a simple radio button.

Depot Material UI mockup:

3dsmax_Idea_Depot_Material_MockUp.jpg

0 Kudos

Adaptive control for Splines

by Contributor borisk on ‎04-20-2017 04:26 AM

We have Adaptive and Optimize check boxes in Spline Interpolation Roll-out. But will be good have control for Angle threshold.  

Viewport Glitch Is Rediculous

by Explorer omnidigital on ‎01-28-2017 06:20 AM

Im sorry but the view port glitch is making this software un-usable...... Im trying to work on Max an my viewport is constantly moving itself to somewhere random in the scene. This is a regular occurrence and I can t believe its gone on this long without getting fixed. Is this just some sly tactic to move everyone to Maya or do you just generally not care about your consumers???? 

@omnidigital

Thank you for posting this but it is a defect and not an Idea for a feature request.  

I have not seen this issue but would be happy to work with you to see if we can run it down.

Please log this on the 3ds Max Bug Report page.  Please include more information and steps to reproduce the issue. 

Kelly Michels

Sr 3ds Max QA

3ds Max Beta manager

kelly.michels@autodesk.com

Autodesk, Inc

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!