AREA Community - The Largest CG Forum on the Web
3ds Max Ideas
Welcome to the new Autodesk 3ds Max Ideas Community! For information on this space, please see the following article: http://autode.sk/3dsMaxFeedbackPost
New Idea

This will be one of the biggest usability improvements to Max since long time if implemented. Please make it possible to scroll in panels even when the mouse cursor is OVER buttons. icons and fields. It will be so much easier to scroll within panels. This is already possible in the Material/Map Browser of Slate Material Editor but sadly it's the only place where that's possible.

At the moment you need to first find safe space where there are no buttons/icons/fields and only after that try to scroll. Sometimes it's so annoying when you want to scroll but you accidentally hit a button/icon/field. It will save so much time on finding safe spaces in the interface for scrolling and won't take away our concentration.

Blender already has this and scrolling in panels is JOY not a PAIN like in Max. Just try it out yourselves and you'll see what I mean. You'll never want to go back to the way you scroll in Max.

scroll over buttons icons fields.png

Dialogue Box Retriever

by Explorer canonvela on ‎03-30-2017 06:56 AM

I use three monitors running from a high spec laptop so that I can take my work away with me. The problem is that, when away, I only have the single screen on the laptop.

If I run 3ds Max the layers rollup, for instance, will always appear on screen if I click its icon on the ribbon, but the render setup dialogue box will not: because it is displaying on a non-existant screen somewhere to my left.

There is a tortuous way to retrieve it, but I have to keep Googling it. Life would be a lot simpler if there was a button that called all windows and dialogue boxes to the centre to be rearranged at will.

It would be nice if we had the option to duplicate an edge or edge-loop with params to specify an exact distance from the source/selected edge/vertex so geometry could be divided at exact locations as required.  We can currently "move" edges accurately via type-in dialogs, but we can't tell Max to create a copy (or a new edge) x-units away from a currently selected edge/vertex. 

Layer Explorer enhancements

by Contributor tsyba on ‎03-03-2017 01:16 AM

The layer's color should appear as shown on a picture.

This greatly simplifies orientation in a large number of layers.

0 Kudos

Now Bone Properties and Object Properties are 2 different windows,

Object properties should also have the bone properties at the bottom.

add keyboard shortcut to tooltips

by Contributor Xerges on ‎04-16-2017 07:17 AM

tooltips should show the keyboard shortcut

We really need a performace boost, we're falling behind...

This one is from my experience of Cinema 4D where you simply place the mouse cursor inside the spinner entry field and roll the mouse up/down to change the values.  In Max the problem/s I have are (1) The teeny-weeny arrows are near impossible to select individually for changing values up or down and (2) I find I need to drag the mouse across the room to change the values by any significant amount.  No doubt there's a setting for that (somewhere) but incorporating the simple "place cursor in spinner and roll mouse wheel" seems so much more intuitive and ergonomic as well.

Align and distribute tools

by Advocate davision on ‎02-10-2017 02:14 PM

We need quick, easy align and distribute tools.  The parametric array feature I already mentioned would make these less useful -- but still they have their place.

Adobe Illustrator and After Effects have very simple functional tools for handling alignment and distribution of objects.  Max should have the same type of functionality.

So this is sort of the holy grail for 3d animation as far as I'm concerned.  At it's most complex I'm sure it would be extremely hard to implement and grind workstations to a halt.  However a simpler incarnation seems practical given today's hardware.

The idea is this: right now when we work in the viewports, we are basically manipulating a bunch of objects that have no mass or physical structure.  It's like pushing air around.  Any one object can intersect any other object freely.  Sometimes that's good.  But often it's not.

I'd like to see some live collision detection (as a toggle) where an object will no longer be able to pass through every other object.  I realize this would be extremely taxing if there was loads of complex geometry in the scene. But what if you could just select a few "live" objects?  One might be a point helper and the other a ground plane.  The live collision toggle would make it impossible to push the point helper (pivot) "through" the ground plane.  If you made a sphere or box primitive live along with the ground, then their mesh vertices would not be able to push past the ground layer.  If the meshes were very detailed then max could make simpler proxy objects on the fly (similar to massfx).  

Instead of making objects live piece by piece -- you could instead implement a "Limit box" (like the point cloud) or a "sphere of influence" that allows users to adjust the area where collision detection is active.  Object properties could be set to keep some objects always excluded from collision calculations.

So at its most basic, this form of collision detection is the ability to make a few objects "active" or "live" and have Max prevent intersections actively.  If not prevent them, then at least Max could detect intersections -- a red glow (or colored vertices) would appear near the intersection or whatever. 

A step up in complexity would look at interconnectivity between objects (as in hierarchies or rigged systems) and take that into account.... such as when rotating a shoulder bone and the hand bones strike a wall.  

The ultimate step up would detect skinned mesh collisions.  Think about animating a character's fingers wrapping around a railing.  Right now that takes a lot of careful adjustments and examining the hand from all angles.  BUT if the skinned mesh's intersection with handrail could be detected/prevented when adjusting finger bones, that would be incredible (but I imagine it would still be slow).  Then add adjustable deformation (based on a softness parameter) as the fingers squash against the solid surface.... but baby steps...

Initially if just basic objects could be used, including bones of a skinned mesh, it would mean real progress and we'll start to have some solidity in the viewports. No more pushing air.

UV channels switch inside of UV editor

by Contributor dzodzu on ‎04-13-2017 12:40 PM - last edited on ‎04-13-2017 12:50 PM |

Quick switch for UV channels inside of UV editor, like in Mayas UV sets drop down menu or just simple numeric switch somewhere on the toolbar below like for IDs.

Oh, and btw, the lasso selection tool in UV Editor!

Scene Optimization Manager

by Advocate kauffman on ‎01-05-2017 07:55 AM

There are a multitude of plugins, scripts, and general workflow methodologies, which help to optimize scenes, however, there is no native centralized tool to accomplish this. Therefore, I recommend the creation of a "Scene Optimization Management" panel (SOM), which utilizes a dashboard to help a user identify potential issues within a scene and provide a multitude of options for the user to optimize their scene to meet particular production goals.

This management panel should contain the following:

1. Dashboard - This interface would function on several levels; provide a general overview of the scene, display general statistics such as polygon counts, object numbers, xrefs, materials, etc., display potential issues based on stock and user generated criteria (drop menu). This would also display stats based on specific object, group or layer selections.
  2. Asset Management Tool – This would be a significant overhaul of the current tool. This should allow remapping, searching, copying of assets from one location to another, file format change (JPG to TGA for instance), file scaling (scale to binary multiples or scale from 2048 to 512 for instance), gamma adjustments, support for all assets other than just images (Proxies, Xrefs, Containers, etc.), sorting by columns.
  3. Wizard based optimization – This would be a wizard oriented tool which walks the user through various questions to help optimize a scene based on user defined criteria. This wizard tool could also create “batch presets”, which can be saved by the user for later use.
  4. Integrate the Scene Converter functionality
  5. Maxscript/Python/.Net/MCG integration – This would allow for users to create their own custom tools to meet specific production need.
  6. Render to texture integration – This should support both bitmap and procedural rendering
  7. Batch Processing integrated into 3ds max command or core – This functionality would allow a user to batch process scenes without opening 3ds max. Perhaps this could be integrated into the 3ds max Asset Library Tool.
0 Kudos

Hello, 

When i need passes requirement in my project. Sometime it take too much time to doing adding passes for different objects. Is it possible to add pass contribution option in 3Ds Max. It will give more user friendly experience for production and it will save time. If it work there is no need to jump every time to Maya.

It will easy if it support 3 party plug in like Vray.

Collapsible nodes in Slate Material Editor

by Advocate RGhost77 on ‎01-11-2017 02:37 AM - last edited on ‎01-11-2017 02:44 AM |

For now node contains all parameters that the material has. But it's nightmare if material has 50+ parameters it's makes very hard to use such nodes.
Please add into nodes collapsible/expandable groups of parameters (see screenshot) like Maya has.

3dsmax_improve_ME_node01.png

Select by name auto focus

by Explorer redogre on ‎02-01-2017 02:12 AM

When you click select by name and start typing in filter area, object list doesn't focus on selected objects, you see an empty space thinking "Guess I typed wrong" then you realise the scroll bar is in bottom, so you have to manually scroll to top if you have lots of objects in scene.

I gets annoying after a time, it used to focus on selected objects prior to 3ds max 2014.

Uvw unwrap as a viewport

by Explorer germain on ‎01-08-2017 07:58 PM

How many have I struggled with rotating an object to look at the unwrapping tweaks while having to dodge the unwrap window on a single-screen desktop. I wish I could dock the unwrap window in a viewport and have it side-by-side with my other viewports.

Kinda goes well with having uvw unwrap as a mode too, don't you think?

Batch Render Menu

by Participant jparkWD9NJ on ‎03-22-2017 09:45 AM

Currently batch menu has duplicate and delete function for editing the list. 

It would be great if we can change the order of the job list by dragging and moving.

I know we can give a priority number but it would've been better to be able to edit the list for organizing purpose. 

It's not intuitive to track job order by looking numbers.

Thanks,

Using the paint brush in the skin modifier can significantly speed up the skinning process. However, on models that have multiple layers of meshes, such as a body wearing a jacket, the paint brush is almost unusable to paint the body underneath. Normally when skinning such a character, I go into the editable poly of the model and hide the surfaces/sub-objects that cover the body underneath to have a better view of the vertices of the body. But even if those surfaces are hidden, the paint brush of the skin modifier will still hit them.  As I understand the functionalities of the paint brush under the hood, it seems that when clicking on the screen, a ray cast is sent to the model from the position of the mouse on the screen and out to hit a surface of a model and get the normal of that surface, allowing to orient the brush correctly. As it is now, that ray cast will hit hidden surfaces, effectively making it impossible to use the brush on a visible surface located underneath the hidden one.

Giving the option to have the brush ignore hidden vertices/polygons would be very helpful to speed up the skinning process of more complex models.

Thanks!

Viewport Glitch Is Rediculous

by Explorer omnidigital on ‎01-28-2017 06:20 AM

Im sorry but the view port glitch is making this software un-usable...... Im trying to work on Max an my viewport is constantly moving itself to somewhere random in the scene. This is a regular occurrence and I can t believe its gone on this long without getting fixed. Is this just some sly tactic to move everyone to Maya or do you just generally not care about your consumers???? 

@omnidigital

Thank you for posting this but it is a defect and not an Idea for a feature request.  

I have not seen this issue but would be happy to work with you to see if we can run it down.

Please log this on the 3ds Max Bug Report page.  Please include more information and steps to reproduce the issue. 

Kelly Michels

Sr 3ds Max QA

3ds Max Beta manager

kelly.michels@autodesk.com

Autodesk, Inc

Right click on object or sub-object to include assign material and pop-up material browser, also include the small property box so automatically opens compact material editor. It would be also good if a special candy control is created for fast change material properties without opening material editor.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!