AREA Community - The Largest CG Forum on the Web
3ds Max Ideas
Welcome to the new Autodesk 3ds Max Ideas Community! For information on this space, please see the following article: http://autode.sk/3dsMaxFeedbackPost
New Idea

File open in Xref Dialog

by Collaborator papaf1 on ‎03-03-2017 01:55 PM

Make a right click file open option when selecting a file in the Xref dialog box.

I would like the ability to interrupt or escape any command or process. For example, entering very large values into some input boxes (usually by mistake) can cause Max to try and complete requests which will eventually cause a crash. The ability to stop Max processing these functions would avoid a crash. At the moment, only some processes allow you to cancel them, I propose all commands/processes should be interruptible.

Now that Apple has discontinued QuickTime for PC, Max needs a new codec to output movie files, particularly when producing a viewport animation preview (shift-V). Any new codec would ideally need to be royalty-free, support 4k resolutions and up, and support modern HDR colour spaces. That narrows the field down to pretty much Google's VP9, read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9

H.265 would be an alternative, but as it's proprietary, there would likely be licensing issues.

Somtimes a service pack gets messed up, and it completely messes up max; and they don't always show up under add/remove programs.  The ability to uninstall an SP means a user won't lose an hour to a reinstall... hopefully...

Kris.

Archived as not needed, already available.

Kelly Michels

Sr 3ds Max QA

3ds Max Beta manager

0 Kudos

Now Bone Properties and Object Properties are 2 different windows,

Object properties should also have the bone properties at the bottom.

We really need a performace boost, we're falling behind...

Partcile flow update

by Explorer Raymarcher on ‎01-04-2017 10:35 AM

Better performance, new features, tighter integration within 3ds Max and bug fixes.

0 Kudos

Maya Forum Portfolio

by Advisor on ‎02-05-2017 02:39 PM

Why  can't the Maya Forum have the portfolio link under the Avatar like CG talk has?

That's an Idea.

Also the page before this one didn't show "Maya" under the tab categorie....just showed 3DS

Not related to 3ds Max Ideas.

Maya's feedback is on uservoice:

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum

exclude xrefs of a xref scene

by Participant julian.juju on ‎01-06-2017 06:28 AM

be able to not xref the xrefs of a xref scene.

Sound a bit complicated, just look at the screen below:

Scene Optimization Manager

by Advocate kauffman on ‎01-05-2017 07:55 AM

There are a multitude of plugins, scripts, and general workflow methodologies, which help to optimize scenes, however, there is no native centralized tool to accomplish this. Therefore, I recommend the creation of a "Scene Optimization Management" panel (SOM), which utilizes a dashboard to help a user identify potential issues within a scene and provide a multitude of options for the user to optimize their scene to meet particular production goals.

This management panel should contain the following:

1. Dashboard - This interface would function on several levels; provide a general overview of the scene, display general statistics such as polygon counts, object numbers, xrefs, materials, etc., display potential issues based on stock and user generated criteria (drop menu). This would also display stats based on specific object, group or layer selections.
  2. Asset Management Tool – This would be a significant overhaul of the current tool. This should allow remapping, searching, copying of assets from one location to another, file format change (JPG to TGA for instance), file scaling (scale to binary multiples or scale from 2048 to 512 for instance), gamma adjustments, support for all assets other than just images (Proxies, Xrefs, Containers, etc.), sorting by columns.
  3. Wizard based optimization – This would be a wizard oriented tool which walks the user through various questions to help optimize a scene based on user defined criteria. This wizard tool could also create “batch presets”, which can be saved by the user for later use.
  4. Integrate the Scene Converter functionality
  5. Maxscript/Python/.Net/MCG integration – This would allow for users to create their own custom tools to meet specific production need.
  6. Render to texture integration – This should support both bitmap and procedural rendering
  7. Batch Processing integrated into 3ds max command or core – This functionality would allow a user to batch process scenes without opening 3ds max. Perhaps this could be integrated into the 3ds max Asset Library Tool.
0 Kudos

Hello, 

When i need passes requirement in my project. Sometime it take too much time to doing adding passes for different objects. Is it possible to add pass contribution option in 3Ds Max. It will give more user friendly experience for production and it will save time. If it work there is no need to jump every time to Maya.

It will easy if it support 3 party plug in like Vray.

Progressive Saving

by Enthusiast kartalturhan1 on ‎02-20-2017 01:55 AM

For large scale projects there should be a progressive saving method. Like a history for changes. So every saved file in a folder could represent a change in max scene.  That would be awesome.

UV channels switch inside of UV editor

by Contributor dzodzu on ‎04-13-2017 12:40 PM - last edited on ‎04-13-2017 12:50 PM |

Quick switch for UV channels inside of UV editor, like in Mayas UV sets drop down menu or just simple numeric switch somewhere on the toolbar below like for IDs.

Oh, and btw, the lasso selection tool in UV Editor!

It'd be great to have the possibility to copy-paste a mesh from a scene (sceneA.max) to another one (sceneB.max) with a shortcut.

Like CTRL+C & CTRL+V on gizmo in nuke.

example: in SceneA.max, you select a sphere, you hit the copy shortcut, you go in your second max window, you hit the paste shortcut and your sphere and its modifier stack are merged into the 2nd max scene at the same position, like the standard merge tool.

Better Spline Tools

by Participant pmeadows on ‎01-11-2017 07:41 AM

Would be nice to have AutoCAD/Revit style spline editing. Some examples:

1. Spline offset that creates a new spline (unconnected) from the selected spline. (similar to the way AutoCad offsets)

2. Multiple spline offset - set the distance and number of copies.

3. When a spline is open and/or self-intersecting, provide a visual cue as to where it is unconnected and/or crossing itself. (I wrote a script to kind of accomplish this, but it would be good to have natively, like the magenta boxes in Revit)

4. Spline offset preview. (Sometimes I need to offset a spline with the slider to get an idea of how far I need it to offset and then type in the actual value I want. Currently, I use the slider do get an idea of the distance, undo, and then type in the exact value I need.)

5. The ability to detect and remove double/overlapping segments.

6. Built-in ability to flatten splines.

...More ideas for this??

Using the paint brush in the skin modifier can significantly speed up the skinning process. However, on models that have multiple layers of meshes, such as a body wearing a jacket, the paint brush is almost unusable to paint the body underneath. Normally when skinning such a character, I go into the editable poly of the model and hide the surfaces/sub-objects that cover the body underneath to have a better view of the vertices of the body. But even if those surfaces are hidden, the paint brush of the skin modifier will still hit them.  As I understand the functionalities of the paint brush under the hood, it seems that when clicking on the screen, a ray cast is sent to the model from the position of the mouse on the screen and out to hit a surface of a model and get the normal of that surface, allowing to orient the brush correctly. As it is now, that ray cast will hit hidden surfaces, effectively making it impossible to use the brush on a visible surface located underneath the hidden one.

Giving the option to have the brush ignore hidden vertices/polygons would be very helpful to speed up the skinning process of more complex models.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Colour Music ?

by Observer petitpalat on ‎02-10-2017 02:31 PM

Call it Colour Music. But somehow, I’m intrigued with the possibility, of again coming to participate in this forum, like already from Max 2.5 and then, previously, 3ds DOS. Although my ideas and ways of working, where despite maybe some of the same tools of working i.e. 3dsMax, then things in common they are normally nearly non-existing.

Like for example. We all know about film and film-making, and that a certain amount of images, it leaves us with an idea of a certain movement coming in. Also on the other hand, we also know about so-called pointillism. And that one colour coming next to another colour, it leaves us with a sensation of now even a “third” colour coming in. And then, with film-making and pointillism together, and that only it can be done with Max but in a very special manner, where instead of one picture and then another, it is now one colour and then another.

What happens is that, instead of having images and then for us, movement. It is now colours, one after the other and for us. One or maybe many of them that are already gone, somehow into our dreams and imagination only, and others still coming in. Dream and reality combined and we all know. Take a look at a sunset or a sunrise and how you feel. And then take a picture of it, and one of it is just flat.

Last year I had an intervention with a Chinese film delegation. And they just sat there to what I showed them, jaw dropping and some of them almost in tears.  

PS: I might be ready with, say, a new album, in approximately a month from now

3D Section Box

by Observer PhilippP on ‎01-11-2017 06:28 AM

I would like to have a 3D-Section-Box like you have in Revit. It would be a great advantage while working on bigger and more complex Scenes.

ok its a age old problem, max resets all saved settings when you open and close two max version at once or just randomly it happens, would love there be some fix as it happens in max max versions

@mitfordshawn

Thank you for posting this but it is a defect and not an Idea for a feature request.  

Please log this on the 3ds Max Bug Report page.  Please include more information and steps to reproduce the issue. 

You can also contact me directly if you would like to discuss this issue.

Kelly Michels

Sr 3ds Max QA

3ds Max Beta manager

kelly.michels@autodesk.com

Autodesk, Inc

Remove missing plugins from scene

by Explorer robdeja on ‎12-08-2016 03:24 PM

I would like a way of clearing missing plugins from a scene. It would be good if max could select assets in a scene dependent on the missing plugin so that it can be manually fixed (example: show all materials with missing plugins).

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!

Labels