Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting individual or all unused materials no longer wished in scene.

Deleting individual or all unused materials no longer wished in scene.

I come from maya and i think its really sad that the feature delete all unused nodes does not excist in 3ds max wich in some cases with testing different textures lead to having a scene full of unused materials - Really?

I thought this feature was in all 3d programs it seems like such and easy thing to implement and also extremly usefull to cleanup the scene.

so this is the easies way to do this command but i think maby add a button or keybind that has this feature

''via MaxScript Listener window simply type:

$*.material = undefined

After you type that script, extract and run this .MCR script from the Scripting drop-down Menu -> Run Script...

http://www.digitalanimation.net/maxscripts/DAS_PurgeUnusedMaterials1.1.zip

Right-click the toolbar -> Customise...

Then browse to the Toolbars Tab, Group 'Main UI', Category 'DAS Tools' and from the Action list click and drag 'DAS Purge Materials' to a free slot on any toolbar on the screen.

Now: Open the Slate Material Editor or The Compact Material Editor and then Click the new button on the toolbar. 

this script will delete all materials from your Editor... even used ones.

To check that it has worked: Click the [MAX] file menu button ->  References -> Asset Tracking -> File -> Refresh''

Hope this feature gets added in soon! 🙂

6 Comments
Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be useful to have something like that, I have had to resort to other people's scripts to be able to purge a file that becomes very heavy and difficult to work due to the amount of information it contains and that, in these cases I have managed to decrease its mb until in 60%. The problem is that it does not always work and having an option like this native in 3dmax would be good

BenediZ
Collaborator

+ 1

Jixal
Enthusiast

Heck yeah, 3DS needs some proper scene management tools +1.  

How is this still not a thing in 2020.

Scenes are incredibly complex these days and it's only going to get worse. Surely it would be a simple add!

arqrenderz
Enthusiast

Im sure everyone here has some super simple objects that weights a ton. NO single 3dsmax utility can handle it. Please autodesk fix this, this was under consideration three years ago.. 

fairbanks83E97
Observer

It's June 2023, and this feature is still not integrated into the standard 3dsMax commands/tools/utilities. Unfortunately.

I've been a 3DS/3dsMax user since 3D Studio Release 2 (~1992). I've used a lot of 3D software in 31 years, and I'm still surprised that different 3D applications lack useful, mundane features that are taken for granted by the users of each application.

Autodesk - please consider adding this to future releases (2025...).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report