Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Library: Respect Pivot point when merging/replacing

Asset Library: Respect Pivot point when merging/replacing

So I'm excited to start using the Asset Library, though I am disappointed at how it handles pivot points. Since it always uses the center point of the model, iterating between different models with the 'replace' feature is messy.  I have recorded a short video illustrating the problem.

It is my understanding that it's current design is intentional, according to this developer response, but I would urge you to consider giving the user control of where an object's "base" is:

https://apps.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/en/Detail/Index?id=6015429456303731618&appLang=en&os=Win64

" As far as the pivot, we started with the center as we ultimately weren't sure which type of content our users would be dragging in. Would it be full scenes, or single assets? Would they need to be placed on a floor, ceiling, wall, etc.? We thought the best approach in all those situations would be to start from the center."

3 Comments
brentscannell
Alumni

Hi @Anonymous

This has come up once or twice before, and we'd certainly like to explore making this an optional placement mode sometime in the future. I'll keep an eye on this idea to see what kind of traction it gets. In the mean time, there is a way to trick the placement tool to get the desired placement mode. Can you send me a direct message with your email address? I'll send you some instructions.

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also like to know how to have objects from the Asset Library inserted at a desired elevation that corresponds to pivot points rather than the arbitrary center of the object. This seems fairly essential.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report