Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add keyboard shortcut to tooltips

add keyboard shortcut to tooltips

tooltips should show the keyboard shortcut

15 Comments
monster.blues
Contributor

Blender has Python command in the tooltip which is super helpful. MaxScript commands would be awesome.

helloThereHi
Community Visitor

This will be so helpful for beginner level users and it will help them improve faster.

michesco89
Community Visitor

I have been learning several different 3D Modelling programs, and have recently started to dive into Max. I have to say that since the user interface is not intuitive to begin with, I have been very frustrated to not be able to learn the shortcuts for the tools I need without having to open the Shortcuts menu or go online. There is no reason a small portion of the tooltip shouldn't be dedicated to showing its current shortcut, especially when the tooltips are extremely long to begin with. 

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Thank you for the Idea! This was Implemented in 3ds Max 2019! There are some instances where it they don't show up yet, but the majority of the UI like toolbars should show shortcuts as part of the tooltips.

KarlAkimor
Advisor

3ds Max relies heavily in shortcuts to have any performance and this force me to double check periodically the shortcuts list, specially when I have not used that feature for a while.

There are lots of programs that do that, for example Photoshop.

We have currently lots of help each time we hover over the menus and icons, why not the shortcuts also?

Tags (3)
some menus items show the shortcuts. Dont know why the others dont or those you have just assigned. In a similar way dont know why some menu items dont have icons next to them
KarlAkimor
Advisor

This affects also the icons in the tool bars, that should show the shortcuts when hovering over them.

I want also to add an entry Idea about the lack of icons, most of the menus won't show them. Also when adding scripts that has icons they will show in the toolbars but not in the menus.

The icons in the menus are just brilliant and so professionally designed. I like the color coding in the Maya ui icons as well but here even without that the use of bare shapes and a bit of accent colours really does the job. Too bad they are hidden in the menus.
brentscannell
Alumni
Can I ask you to start a fresh idea specific around icons? It will help steer other users into that discussion with the right subject line. I am happy to say that the tooltips in 3ds Max 2019 now display the corresponding keyboard shortcut! I will merge this one into another idea that recently got moved to implemented status with the release of 3ds Max 2019.
KarlAkimor
Advisor

Done Smiley Happy I added a new idea for the icons.

Very happy about the new shortcuts hints!

aq
Contributor
Contributor

Shortcuts in tooltips should be universal, just so you know if they exist or not. Searching the keymap is hell (and it's a modal dialogue). Also, why no tooltips for all the buttons in the modifier rollouts? I've only been waiting for this since version 1......(I don't remember 3DS DOS but that's where I started..)

pyroskat
Advocate

Shortcuts on tooltips are great, I miss them showcasing on other areas like editable poly parameters.

reallukx
Advocate

yeah should be also showing when over buttons in modify panel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report