Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsmax more tablet friendly

3dsmax more tablet friendly

Any chance of making 3dsmax more tablet friendly. For years now I'm using wacom intuos tablets with 3dsmax and for years I have to use Q to select things first before moving them because otherwise I'm usually ending with moving things a tiny bit when selecting them. So maybe it's possible to add some option for people using tablet that 3dsmax won't be so sensitive of picking pen touching the surface and not moving the polys, verts etc same time.

13 Comments
LOMBARDIAUGUSTO
Enthusiast

years ago i decided to abandon the mouse and start to use the PEN to operate on my PC because i feel less pain in my arms and i work faster

in all the studios i was hired i ever had the mouse and the pen also because if you have to work with NUKE and photoshop and mudbox or zbrush and so on...you need the pen

in my experience MAX has the worst implementation for a PEN based operativity

before to use the pen you have to go on windows and disable some options to avoid problems on the right click

then once you use the pen under MAX you keep experiencing little issues
especially with the right click to open popup menus then selecting an option inside the menu, in most cases you can uoen the popup menu but you can't select any voice inside it so you have to do it using the mouse instead

i never had problems under XSI, for instance, in the whole interface, i can use the pen with no issues of any kind

i'd like to have the same the PEN operativity increased and possibly have new functions based on PEN wrkflow only

MAX is getting even more node based UIs and with nodes the pen works much better than a mouse

plus the pen has a much lower impact on our arms and tendons than the mouse, when you use the mouse 12 hours per day after some years you start to get problems to your articulations

Tags (1)
aq
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to add to this, MOST IMPORANTLY, some default key combinations to work with the pen for simple viewport pan, rotate and zoom. if you don't have a "three button mouse" there's just no easy way to do this without customising MAX, which you have to do again every freakin' time you install an upgrade, which is annually.  Ideally I'd like to see some combination of ALT/SHIFT/CTRL allow the pen to go into zoom/pan/orbit modes, but I've noted these keys are already used for various other functions. I certainly don't want to be picking keys from all over the keyboard for these functions, they need to be a tight group as these are the operations probably MOST USED. They should probably take priority over any other functions - i.e. keep the ALT/CTRL/SHIFT and "mouse down/move" combinations soley for viewport navigation functions. As Lombardiagu mentions, right-clicking and accessing pop-up menus is also a pain, and don't get me started on the goddam caddies....

aq
Contributor
Contributor

yes! - and default modifier keys to allow zoom/orbit/pan when using a wacom - it seems MAX is entirely geared to using a 3-button mouse.

LOMBARDIAUGUSTO
Enthusiast

I agree with you

i forgot to mention what you say in the main post

my idea for a better implementation of the pen is the following:

pen main click    =      left mouse click

pen right click    =      mouse right click

pen 3rd button click    =       PAN viewport 

pen main click + 3rd button click    =       ZOOM viewport

pen main click + Alt    =       ROTATE viewport

this is the easiest config i can imagine and is perfectly the same in NUKE

in some cases there is absolutely no shame in copying other software's solutions

michael_spaw
Autodesk

Thanks

-Michael

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

aq
Contributor
Contributor

The Wacom pens I'm familiar with have just a tip button and a two-position barrel button. I used the barrel buttons for "double click" and "right click" functions, as double-clicking with the tip is extremely difficult without positional shifts, even when using the Wacom pixel-shift compensation settings. Thus, the pen acts as per a two-button mouse, so any other functions have to be supplied by keyboard modifiers. It is ergonomically best if all such modifiers are grouped together, preferably some combination of ALT/SHIFT/CTRL as these are common to other Windows functions so you can keep your hand in the same place whilst using the pen. The problem with assigning CTRL/SHIFT/ALT modifiers for pan/zoom/orbit is that some other 3DS MAX functions use these modifier combinations by default.

square-zero-one
Contributor

Probably the thing that keeps throwing me away from max after so many years in Maya,

The same happens on Cinema 4d, both softwares are not wacom friendly for everything,

so things work, but you need to make it work for all the interface and navigation

LOMBARDIAUGUSTO
Enthusiast

i'm sure that DEV guys are considering this improvement

so let's wait for next releases and probably you'll finally enjoy MAX and all the wonders from this universe 😉

jjbigley
Contributor

Windows Ink and quad menus. 

When you right click, the menus stop registering pen input. 

I bought a new Microsoft Surface Book 2 and the quad menus don't work at all with Windows Ink / Pen and Touch. 
Using a Wacom tablet works.. but I have a new mobile work station that I can't take advantage of because of this one thing in max.

My work around has been to reduce all quad menus down to one quad and assign hotkeys into them with the '&' Symbol.

rastorrm
Participant

Time to dig up an old thread because i think this will help and im also looking for community help with this.

I've been working on a script which will help wacom users such as myself working with 3ds max, mainly with selection stuff. Here is my script so far, it works well and honestly has made my life easier in max but it isn't elegant or professional in any way. I am not a programmer, just someone trying to solve a daily issue. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this script that would be great!

Here's the code:

Simply save it in your startup folder and restart max.

If you want to remove the script, delete it from the startup folder and in the listener window paste the following:

callbacks.removescripts #selectionSetChanged id:#myCallbackID	
(
	global selectionChanged

callbacks.removescripts #selectionSetChanged id:#myCallbackID	

callbacks.addscript #selectionSetChanged "selectionChanged()" id:#myCallbackID

fn selectionChanged =
	(
		if not (isCreatingObject()) and not keyboard.shiftPressed do 		
		max select
	)
)
kinower
Contributor

I think this script is wonderful, the only thing I would like is that it is activated or deactivated with some key or something like that, a kind of toggle, sometimes I don't use the tablet and I would like to activate or deactivate this function somehow

js-gomez
Participant

@rastorrm 

What does the script do?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report