Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max for Mac OS and M2 Chip!

3DS Max for Mac OS and M2 Chip!

Hello, Autodesk! I'm wondering why you haven't developed 3ds Max for macOS. I use macOS everyday and would love to have access to your amazing software. Why don't you consider developing 3ds Max specifically for macOS?

Mac OS is the most convenient operating system for creative people! It is most suitable for creating and not bothering about settings, drivers, and various inconveniences associated with the operating system.
You will simply have millions of new users and buyers of the 3ds max program. It is obvious!
You could first do it through some kind of VINE or ROSETTA, and then gradually develop a full-fledged version for Mac.
While Apple produced computers with Intel chips - I could use Parallels for 3ds max, but now it's not possible with the new M1 and M2 chips. But working in Windows is extremely inconvenient. I suffer a lot using computers on Windows. And there are millions like me.
Finally, do something and transfer our favorite software to a normal operating system ... and not this terrible Windows ... Macs are super comfortable computers with the best screens, sound, synchronization with iPhones and iPads. It's simply the best tool for the job. And how did it happen that for all this splendor there is no magnificent 3DS Max ???
Even render systems already have everything for MacOS: Arnold, Corona Renderer, V-Ray, Redshift, Octane, Renderman.
As a community of 3D visualizers, we believe in Autodesk. You can make 3DS Max for MacOS!!! 

Maybe we, the community, can somehow help you with this? For example, to test or something else?

10 Comments
sebastian___
Advocate

Macs have indeed nice screens, and even nice speakers for their laptops, and the battery efficiency is great. But the operating system ? I find it awkward and annoying to use, unless you install lots of little tools to try and tame the weirdness. 

info2KD9N
Enthusiast

On the contrary, I like mac OS much more than Windows, since it is simpler and more convenient. Also great synchronization with iPad and iPhone. Plus extremely convenient tools like backup. I 'm not talking about stability at all ) windows is stuck in the 90s

Completely Agree @info2KD9N plus M1 and M2 chips changed the game, gone are the days of reaching to the charger after 2 hours and waiting for Windows to finish updating every other day. After more than two decades using Windows I switched to MacOS and never looked back, now when I try to help a friend with a Windows machine I just see how much its still behind. Autodesk will have to bring 3DS Max to the Mac platform or watch its market share for that segment slowly get eaten by others like Blender and Cinma4d. I have been using Autodesk products for over 20 years now and I am glad that AutoCAD and Fusion 360 are available for Mac, but I miss 3ds Max, meanwhile I am using Blender its very different but i cant complain as its free.

info2KD9N
Enthusiast

I support mohamedsaied.salih!
He said everything correctly. I now rely only on Game Porting Tool in new versions of Mac OS. It is quite possible that 3ds max will work. But at the same time, of course, I’m learning Blender. And even now there are already some functions in which Blender excels.

TP2023
Observer

Nowadays Mac is not like the Mac of yesterday. Autodesk need to wake-up. Window OS is very troublesome. Often update files here & there wasting lots of downtime. You should have all software that can run on Mac OS. Don't side one platform.

info2KD9N
Enthusiast

TP2023 - I completely agree with you, colleague! Apple computers have long been the standard for work. Therefore, I think Autodesk needs to do tests on transferring 3DS Max to Mac OS right now.

Contributor

This need to rewrite the code for max in order to support Mac OS 

Very hard work

info2KD9N
Enthusiast

I have already tested the launch of games and applications via the Game Porting Tool on Apple M3 Max. All applications for the Windows/X86 platform run and work great. Except ))) as you've all guessed 3DS Max. The installer just won't start.
My God, Avtodesk - at least make sure that 3ds max is installed through the Game Porting Tool and runs! I don't need anything more from you! You are so lazy that it is already clear to everyone that no one will do anything for dedicated users.
Just make it possible to install and run normally through the Apple Game Porting Tool.
Or is that too weak for you? Maybe you have collusion with Microsoft there???

m_faramarzian
Community Visitor

Talking to X autodesk employee a while back about the prospect of 3DS Max coming macOs and they told me it is highly unlikely. The reason boils down to 3DS maxes history and Autodesk's prospects. When Autodesk got the source from MAXON they kinda packaged it and put it aside as it was a "monumental" task fix it and just laid their work on top. As you probably know Max as changed hands a few times and the previous guys did the same. The other issue is that Autodesk says (I have asked) our primary focus is on Maya and not Max and we don't give much resources to the project. Case and point was the person who worked on the slow layer system in 2018 or 2014 (can't remember) and made it waaaay faster. Autodesk didn't like that and fired the person or something along those lines. That was the reason many features from the layer manager were missing for a few versions after. Can you imagine that still "add selected to layer" doesn't yet exist!! like you have to select the object change your active layer to the one you want then add selected to the active layer? and they are not written text options just images/icons. Whatever Autodesk is doing with 3DS max I don't approve. I am thinking of switching to blender but I have been using max since 2.4 its not easy. 

info2KD9N
Enthusiast

Good day. Greetings to all. I have read everything that you have written and now I am in a slight perplexity ...
What a horror is happening in Avtodesk ...!!! How can you treat your users like this?
I have already started to slowly solve some tasks in the blender and will only continue to expand my horizons towards the blender.
Also, I'm opening a 3D visualization school soon. And I can say with confidence that gradually the school will also switch to a blender.
It's very sad, because I also started studying 3DS Max with the 2nd version back in 1999.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report