Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import UI settings from previous 3ds Max installs

Import UI settings from previous 3ds Max installs

I always do some keyboard, GUI and preferences customization when I install 3ds Max, and they're usually the same ones each time I upgrade. It would be very nice if 3ds Max could see and optionally import preferences and GUI-settings from existing installations.

19 Comments
TheXennon
Advocate

I think if Max would just allow for the saving/export of ALL changeable settings to a single all-encompassing XML settings file many if not all problems would be solved.  Then, with each new upgrade, Max could inspect this universal settings file and where necessary upgrade any upgradable settings that may have changed between versions and/or ignore any that are no longer supported (with an advisory popup listing those that are ignored and why and how (if appropriate) to regain that functionality. 

Essentially - 1 file stores everything a user can or has changed from the plain vanilla install and use that from version to version.

Jan_Brana
Advocate

trackview_3dsmax.png

I like the new 2018 interface in 3ds Max, however, working with dual monitors I usually put my Track View on my second monitor.

In all previous versions of 3ds Max windows such as Track View could easily be sized to fill the entire second monitor if desired, and that's usually what I prefer.

But with the latest UI change there is from what I can tell no way to maximize, restore or minimize the Track View like we could in previous versions without doing it manually.

In 2018 double clicking the Track View window frame simply puts Track View below the Track Bar, but in all previous versions this ment maximizing the Track View in the current monitor.

Users need to be able to quickly expand the Track View when needed. This is crucial when working with animation, and likely saves a lot of frustrating manual sizing of the Track View.

Tags (4)
nuno_moser
Advocate

Every time a workstation is re-installed, 3ds max has to be configured. UI preferences, keyboard, shortcuts, menus, etc...

It would be great to be able to sync preferences some how (perhaps on the cloud) in order to backup personal preferences.

This could be great to have a second computer with the preferences updated.

Tags (2)
photodave
Enthusiast

I have remapped most of the key commands for close to 20 years since I started with 3dsmax 2.x and its a PITA with every release because of changes I have to go through and manually remap the keys, colours, menus... it would be awesome to be able to sync all of that with current and future releases.

richard.lewis
Explorer

I've been getting frustrated by the same process for 15+ years.   It seems to be getting worse.

I would do anything to simplify this with a cloud sync to your account.

TheXennon
Advocate

I'd like to add my vote for some kind of built-in (or even an external app) that would gather up ALL user customizations and store them in one central file/folder and which would streamline the restoring of these settings quickly and easily.

I'm amazed that a program as complex and as infinitely customizable as MAX does not offer this feature as of version 2018.  From what I've seen there are all sorts of config files scattered all over the place and I still can't manage to back them all up.  For some reason, restoring from these saved copies doesn't always work and certainly has a greater chance of failing when moving to a higher version.  In my case, restoring from some of these backups can even break MAX as I recently discovered after a re-install.

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

electrotoast_old
Community Manager

Have you guys looked into the Templates we added in 2015? While currently not automatic as you're suggesting, they do solve many problems of migrating to newer versions.

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

photodave
Enthusiast

Thank you for upgrading the request, I think this is a big one that a lot of the longer term users will benefit greatly from and given a lot of other software packages out there have gone this route as well only helps to prove its validity.

-dave

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted. Please keep in mind the guidelines here. This doesn't mean it's in the product until the Idea is Implemented. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-faq/ideas/m-p/5384681

JD3D_CGI
Enthusiast

This really needs to be fixed.

Especially the amazing fact that when I load say the 2018 UI into Max 2019, I lose ALL of the menu functionality of 2019 - it simply deletes any menu item not supported.

Jesus Christ have they never saved one Ui setting from one machine to another?

JD3D_CGI
Enthusiast

By the way Chip, is there any way you could consult with us users before you implement this feature - maybe ask us the kinds of things we need and how we would like it done?

electrotoast_old
Community Manager

@JD3D_CGI Of course! We don't add things in a vacuum and many on the product team are users of 3ds Max today. Typically, we do those discussions through our feedback community. If you would like to join the beta, PM me and I'll send you an invite.

dennis
Enthusiast

I'd like to add my name to this request. I actually dread the annual new release of max as I know that if I install it, I'll spend days getting the UI to match my old one. It would be nice too if there was some automated way to copy over all the script plugins I've added. I get that sometimes plugins have to be updated, but often they don't.

3d-labor
Advocate

I can not repeat it enough: There exists an AutoDESK program, where the import of ALL user customisations works flawless and as a charm. It´s AutoCAD. When you start it the first time after the installation of a new Version. It asks you if you want to migrate your settings from the former version. You klick OK and thats it.

JD3D_CGI
Enthusiast

JD3D_CGI_0-1622211898432.png

Configure modifier sets never seems to get saved with the UI-- I always have to rebuild that after an reinstall.

shawnolson
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

JD3D_CGI
Enthusiast

Configure UI sets seems to be the most fragile part of Max.

Even the UI itself is crap, where you type in the name to save it as - is not clear when you are saving or overwriting,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report