Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's New in 3ds Max 2017 | July Expert Elite Highlight | Dario Passariello

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
passariello
7601 Views, 1 Reply

What's New in 3ds Max 2017 | July Expert Elite Highlight | Dario Passariello

Autodesk is excited to feature Dario Passariello (aka @passariello) in the AutodeskHelp blog's 2016 Expert Elite Highlight series - July edition!  Professor Dario, an experienced 3ds Max user (since 3d Studio from 1992) shares his evaluation and review of the Autodesk 3ds Max 2017 version with us.

Top image-Dario Passariello.png 

In my opinion, one of the most important features of 3ds Max is the ability to change and adapt to a particular industry's needs. A software that has rich functionalities since inception many years ago and built on ever since, 3ds Max is a software that's used by creative designers all over the world. There are plenty of copycats that try to but not successfully imitate the software's powerful and creative functions.

In recent years, 3ds Max has had some interesting transformations integrating with different workflows for completely different markets and industries that have the common need to represent reality with virtual mechanisms. One of the things I admire about the team that develop 3ds Max is the recent re-entry into the Media & Entertainment (M&E) and ART, putting the unique software in the center of these markets, placing the focus on its really impressive tools.

3ds Max 2017 

The 2017 version brings major innovations in terms of performance on many front:

• Implementation of the MCG system
  • Corrections of internal errors and new features UI with integration of development using QT as a new method of development of the code, and
  • The new system for HDPI new generation of monitors

In addition to many innovations in the 2017 version, we can definitely make a point about the 3ds Max animation systems (as requested by the community), and on systems integration with industrial pipeline ranging from architecture (BIM) to cinema (DCC).

A major recent high note: the film industry provided a fantastic example with Deadpool, a movie produced  by Blur Studio using 3ds Max - the movie reached box-office records! Companies such as Pixomondo, ILM, and others also use 3ds Max in their production. 3ds Max is one of the most distributed software in the world and has been used by the AEC industries to the gaming and film industries.

3ds Max is versatile; its flexibility can be found in its own tools and application logic parametric. The stack of modifiers is certainly one of the basic operating parts that allows you to have a non-destructive workflow and modeling that is always under your control.

An example is the organic modeling that can be developed using simple, powerful tools, such as the creation of a symmetrical organic object as the torso of a human body. I adopt this workflow in my projects every time.

A simple example for non-expert users is shown below:

Using the non-US metric system, set 3ds Max for use in “cm”.

From Customize Menu > Unit Setup set the "Display Unit Scale" by choosing metric > centimeter, then click on "System Unit Setup" button and set to "System Unit Scale" to centimeters. This is a fundamental operation which should be done at every installation of 3ds Max for non-
US users.

INSTRUCTIONS: 

1) I created a box 50x50x50
(FIG 1)

000.PNG

2) Convert the object into Editable Poly by right-clicking on “convert to > Convert to Editable poly”

3) Go to modify tab and press Msmooth only once, you'll get a breakdown of the object and a softening of the edges

(FIG 2)

Modify Tab, Msmooth

4) Select middle object using "Polygon" and delete (just press cancel from your keyboard)

(FIG 3)

Polygon 

5) We have to apply the first modifier and that is Symmetry. This allows you to have a copy of the polygons in the opposite direction and welded in the middle area between the two halves. If the object disappears, click check FLIP from modifier Symmetry (this changes the mirror orientation).

(FIG 4)

Symmetry

6) Now you can place the modifier TurboSmooth for have a soft object defined “organic”. Remember to enable a maximum of iterations to 2 or 3 (write it by hand because too high values could lock not powerful computer and need to restart Max) and enable the "Isoline Display" option to vilualize the projection lines of the original edge from low poly object. (This last option does not remove edges but simply hides them.

(FIG 5)

TurboSmooth

7) Next, by selecting editable poly and pressing the "Show end result on / off toggle" option you can change the object for successive edits.

(FIG 6)

Poly

Thanks to several modifications obtained from instruments on vertex and edge area from Editable Poly Object, you can change different parts of the object to represent what you want. Use SHIFT on Edge and Border to extrude new poligons where you want. These operations can take some time but the ease of work is guaranteed thanks to the soft object display. The cage, which is the orange grid that surrounds the object, the original object is low polygonal load - Mentra soft texture is controlled by the cage.

(FIG 7)

006.PNG 

SAMPLE

This type of workflow is possible to represent any model. In FIG 8 and FIG 9 below are models that I created using this workflow, and which I then changed thanks to the Sculpting tools in 3ds Max called FREEFORM from Graphite modeling tool (or Ribbon).

(FIG 😎

007.PNG 

(FIG 9)

008.PNG  

BEST 3DS MAX FEATURE

Its interoperability is 3ds Max's best and most important feature because it allows you to import files produced in many different formats. Integration with Fusion 360 is incredible and you can upload files of surfaces such as SAT files.

In FIG 10 and  FIG 11 below, you can see a model (produced by my student Andrea Battello during a course in Autodesk Fusion 360) exported in SAT and then imported into 3ds Max format. This keeps the surface intact.

(FIG 10) 

009.PNG 

(FIG 11) 

010.PNG 

3ds Max serves as a platform that provides designers and creatives with the opportunity to integrate the features in areas of software that has amazing tools. This example reminds me of the work done by Daniel Simon of Tron: Legacy (2010) and other films. There is no limit to the quality and development if you integrate different software together. This is the power of Autodesk and its developers.

CONNECT, MODEL, RENDER, CREATE

3ds Max is an incredibly powerful tool, as it can can be connected to Fusion 360, Revit, AutoCAD, Maya, Mudbox, Stingray, Inventor, Mesh Mixer, Remake without any problem. The new rendering system ART (Autodesk Raytracer) is really incredible and fast. Physical Material, the new material allows it to create materials with the realistic characteristics. The system of Physical Exposure Control is like a real camera. The new Voxel system and Heatmap of skins enables fast mesh deformation effects and adjustments. Unwrapping the system has completely changed in respects to the 2016 version and is better used in the development of composite different objects together. Huge strides have been made to many areas and which makes 3ds Max version 2017 a wealth of innovation and development with each release. The particle system is more stable, fast and allows very large and spectacular animations for motion graphics!

A software to be explored by those who are proficient and have worked with it for years... also a  complete software full of opportunities for those who want to enter the Magic world of 3D with the most different reasons. With 3ds Max you can develop (C ++, MCG, MaxScript, Python), render (Nvidia mental ray, iray, ART, Scanline multicore and Quicksilver), print in 3D (Autodesk Amber / Autodesk Print studio), animate characters (Character Studio, CAT, advanced systems RIG). In short, everything!

Areas of strength also include modeling, rendering and animation. It boasts one of the largest community of users in the world and has fans in every continent. It is used by designers, students and professionals of all kinds. It’s fast, powerful and scalable. 3ds max has been my choice since many years ago.

It is a tool to be used every day to transform ideas into a quality product; a development opportunity for professional growth. Plus behind the scenes of the software, the developers work incredible hard - we could even meet them at Autodesk University (http://au.autodesk.com), EUE (http://www.enduserevent.com) and Siggraph (http://www.siggraph.org).

If you are a student, you can use 3ds Max for educational purposes for free for 3 years, courtesy of Autodesk! This is exciting for me as an Educator, to share the software use with the up-and-coming new gen users! For more information, visit: http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/featured

3ds Max is the best choice for those who want to create stunning content, one is impressed in discovering how many products are produced using this software. Their creative ideas can be developed without limits. My encouragement is to create a production team and embark on an adventure that will produce excellent results.

You provide the creativity, let great work be your number one ally ... MAX! .... 

DARIO'S QUICK BIO

Dario photo.jpgI was born in Palermo, Italy in 1976 and I also live and work here. I am the head of Digital 3D s.r.l. (http://www.digital3dschool.com) - Autodesk Training Center and Academic Partners. I am a professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Palermo and I work full-time for 3D field.

I started using 3ds Max since 1994 when it was called 3d Studio. I always admired the work of Tom Hudson and I was really happy to meet him personally in 2016 in the Netherlands during the End User Event. I’m an Autodesk 3ds Max Master (Los Angeles 2008), Autodesk Certified Instructor and an Autodesk Expert Elite Member. I was director of the AUGI (Autodesk User Group International – http://www.augi.com) in the board of directors and I’m official member of the Internation Rerources Commitee of Siggraph. I spend a majority of my  time in the Autodesk community in my activity as President of AAUGA of Palermo.

I am honored to be a Autodesk Expert Elite member because this allows me to be identified by the community as a point of reference. For me it is an honor to devote my time to those who today has chosen the same path that I chose more than 20 years ago. You can also find more on my background and connect with me on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook

SAMPLE

Sample 3i.jpg 

Sample 1a.png

Sample 2A.png

That's it from Dario all the way from Italy for now!  Palermo.jpg

This is a review provided by Dario which Autodesk is extremely grateful to receive. We value the time and effort Dario has contributed via his work in the design community as well as part of the Expert Elite program. And we wish to visit Dario in his homeland Italy.. and view his work in 3ds Max of course. Thank you!

For more articles like these, please subscribe to the AutodeskHelp blog to learn about helpful product tips and updates.

Dario Passariello

Autodesk 3ds Max Master
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Expert Elite
On LinkedIn
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dinocoglitore
in reply to: passariello

Interesting features and wonderful places

Good work......Prof

Dino

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report