Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Purpose of Isoline Display?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
iampeterparkerjr
2951 Views, 1 Reply

What is the Purpose of Isoline Display?

Sorry i'm a noob in 3ds max. I'm just starting to model and i found out that if i use turbosmooth and check on isoline display and convert my editable poly, then select an edge and try to Alt+L to select loop, it does nothing.

So it came to my mind What is the purpose of isoline display? is it just for exhibiting a person's model in wireframe (we know it's better to look at it rather than unchecked in turbosmooth which has sooo many edges and when we render it creates noises especially if there are many chamfers)?

Or maybe is there a way to select a loop in a converted editable poly from isoline display? Maybe i just don't know how to loop select an edge in it. Please help

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

The Isoline display is only for a better visual representation of the subdivided mesh in the viewport with less edges.

You can`t directly manipulate the geometry by using the isoline display. 3dsmax doesn`t allow you to 'project' the control vertices to the isoline-surface and edit the subdivided mesh with them like in other applications.

If you want to edit the control cage and see the subdivided mesh at the same time:

1)Go to base level (editablePoly,editPoly)

2)Turn on 'Show end Result' of the modifier-stack

3)Enter one of the subobject-levels(Vertices,Edges,Poly`s)

This overlays the control-cage with the subdivided mesh. All selection (Loop,Ring,Grow,Shrink) happen on the control-cage.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report