Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume Lighting

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
MJustinTaylor
1732 Views, 3 Replies

Volume Lighting

Is it possible to setup up volume lighting using the photometric lights so that Max can render using the ART engine? even though I can add the effect and pick a light, my scene doesn't change. not sure if I'm missing some setting or if this isn't supported.

I used to use Mental Ray (which has now been removed and the plugin from NVIDIA isn't on their site that I can see. Also I don'twant to use Scanline rendering.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi;

Volume Lighting nor Volume Fog (atmospheric or gizmo-bound) are not possible in ART Renderer as far as i know.

Regards;

Message 3 of 4

Hello @MJustinTaylor,

@kgokhangurbuz is correct that this is unsupported.  The idea behind ART was to leave behind all the advanced 3D features so that the renderer is easy to use for people who just want to get some basic lighting in.  For more advanced things like Render Elements, Volume lights, and Volume fog, Arnold, Mental Ray, Vray, etc would be required.  (If Scanline isn't an option.)  

Mental ray still exists, NVIDIA will be putting out a 2018 version soon enough.  Other plugin makers also don't have their 2018 versions out yet, but there is no doubt that NVIDIA will have a current offering.  I have more information here.  It doesn't ship with Max anymore but it's still going to be available.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Message 4 of 4

Hello @MJustinTaylor,

I just wanted to follow up here, any questions about MR or anything?  I just wanted to be sure you got the answers you were seeking.  Since @kgokhangurbuz is correct about ART not supporting volume light, I will mark his post as the solution but please feel free to keep posting in here and I'll do what I can to answer your questions.  

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report