Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splines - Vertices won't weld

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
4377 Views, 4 Replies

Splines - Vertices won't weld

I have recently decided to restart on an older project, made in some older software long ago, a somewhat simple racetrack.

I decided to load this model into 3DS, and modify it to add several alterations and some heavy modifications. In order to retain it's original shape. I had decided to convert it to a Spline. According to my plans, this was the best solution, apparently.

And that's where the issue settles in. Due to the fact that the model was triangulated, when I selected the "Select Edges" and "Convert to editable Spline", the model became a skeleton of it's former self, and when you delete the un needed vertices the remaining spline consists of many un connected points, thus making Path deform and Sweeping impossible.

I cannot weld the vertices together, every attempt made thus far had been un productive, the vertices remain un connected and un usable.

Simply put, are there any mistakes that could have been made?

The spline in question can be viewed in the attachment, and I can send the scene to anyone who would like to look over it.

Anything I can do about this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Brock_Lafond
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you post the original object?
Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Sure, do you mean an image or the scene?
Message 4 of 5
Steve_Curley

The scene (remember to zip it first). It's difficult to tell from the image, but there are situations where you cannot weld Spline Vertices, the most common of which is a "T" junction. No vertex can have more than 2 segments attached to it - this therefore precludes said "T" junctions as there would then be 3.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I apologize for such a late reply...

I have a found a solution, the imported model's vertices were not pre welded, resulting in the created shape being made up of many different points. I was able to get the correct shape by first welding the vertices.

Thank-you for your help. I'm now having a completely separate issue, which I will create a new thread for shortly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report