Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific UVW Maps reset when exporting to FBX

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Clell_Tickle
635 Views, 3 Replies

Specific UVW Maps reset when exporting to FBX

I hate having to ask questions so much on here, but I constantly have these obscure problems that I can't find solutions for online. So I'm in the process of exporting my models for use in Unreal Engine 4, but I've been having problems with some of the UV Maps. I've had problems with exporting this model before, as when I would export it it would completely reset uvw mapping altogether. I recently found a solution by applying a STL Check modifier to the whole group stopped it from doing that. But for some reason the drawers on my Drawer reset, no matter what.

ANOTHER ONE.png

As you can see they are off center, but the rest of the model is fine. Originally, these drawers (note that they are seperate shapes) had no UVW Map modifier at all, they were perfectly mapped as they were. But upon exporting, I got what you see above. I figured it must be because I didn't have any UVW map modifier applied, so I did that. Applying the UVW Mapping made it look like it does above, but it hadn't even been exported yet. I noticed the height and the width were off by half, so I went into the bitmap and had a offset half of each of the values, which lined it up. Tried exporting that, still no change whatsoever. Undid that, went back to the UVW Modifier, and tried seeing if the gizmo was off, and sure enough, it was.

Basically looked like this

ANOTHER ONE 2.png

I used snaps and set it to vertex, isolated each piece and aligned the gizmo with the piece. Exported, still got reverted. I feel like I've tried everything and no matter what I try it will just revert. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Clell_Tickle
in reply to: Clell_Tickle

Wow, thanks for all the help! 22 Days and not a single response at all? Man thats CRAZY

No, but seriously, what the hell? 22 days? I desperatly need a solution to this and not a single response for almost a month. This is incredibly frustrating, because everywhere I have posted this, no one has given me a response. I figured the autodesk forums would be my best bet at getting a response. NOPE

Message 3 of 4
msunderwood
in reply to: Clell_Tickle

Have you tried resetting transforms on the objects? If you post a link to your model and the map, and tell me what your export settings are I can try it on my end.

Message 4 of 4
Clell_Tickle
in reply to: msunderwood

msunderwood helped me sort it out via private messages. Turned out its on my end and the model exports fine, just my version of 3ds Max messes up the export. Since I'm putting this directly into UE4, this [hopefully] won't be a problem, though it will make it a bit more tedious.

For anyone one who might ever want to know, I'm using 3ds Max 2015, base install (School refuses to update anything, so i'm kinda stuck)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report