Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sluggish animation preview in viewport

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
kevomacartney
281 Views, 3 Replies

Sluggish animation preview in viewport

I'm having an issue where i previewing the animation on the viewport is becoming nearly impossible. 

Scrubbing through the timeline is incredible sluggish and slow and play a frame at a time. It's become worse as i put in a particle system where i'd have to wait a couple of seconds before it switch to the next frame.

With a particle system comes a deflector, once i have added this and linked the two, moving from one from to the next completely freezes up 3ds max for several minutes, CPU usage on the program remains below 15% at all times with 2GB of ram being consumed. The cooler doesn't spool up and stays at a gentle hum so by this i'm guessing it's less of a hardware bottle neck and more of a configuration error.

I've tried doing several things suggested on the internet but none of them seem to help, i'm currently installing some beta Nvidia drivers but i highly doubt that will help. FYI i'm not running on OPENGL but using directx11 and 3ds max is using the graphics card. 

Any help is welcome;

Best wishes

Spec:

NVIDIA gtx Titan(original)

AMD fx 8120

16GB Ram 

Windows 10 latest update(s)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Edit:

Lights aren't working either. Putting the scene in realistic mode and adding a light turns everything black. Rendering with or without a light still renders as black. I have no idea what is going on

Message 3 of 4

Hello @kevomacartney and welcome to the community,

Strictly speaking, Max 2016 is not certified on Windows 10 so there may be occasional issues.  I have seen some people have problems because they are on Windows 10 home, but Max requires professional.  Are you using the professional version of Windows?  

What type of deflector and particle system are you using?  Thanks for the information!

Some types of materials are not compatible with the high quality viewport, so that *may* be a part of it.  Is there a way I can see the scene file?  I can create a private folder if you'd like.

Best Regards, 

Message 4 of 4

Hello @kevomacartney,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report