Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchup import error

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
108532 Views, 22 Replies

Sketchup import error

Hello,

When I try to import the sketchup file into max i get the error "X32 reader terminated unexpected" I have tried importing to 3ds max design 2013 and 2014 and used different sketchup versions and also files as simple as a box. everytime i get the same error, does anybody have an idea?

Tags (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Doughboy12
in reply to: Anonymous

Try to do it in smaller pieces... of the file.

Or try a test box or ball and see if "anything" works for you.

3ds Max 2012 Certified Professional
Windows 7 Enterprise 64Bit
Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67 x2 36GB
3ds Max 9 - 2013

Save it down to Version 8 in SketchUp.

Message 4 of 23
drendir

yes, it's due to the version in which the sketchup was saved, had same thing

needs to be 8 or lower...

guess sketchup changed something in their file system and max 2014 came out before sketchup 13 so they're not "up to snuff" yet.

would love a fix to be honest, think it could improve the quality of the sketchup files, imported into max...

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 5 of 23
grozo
in reply to: drendir

The new sketch Up 2014 dont work in 3ds max, but i try to save in sketch up 8 and works.

Message 6 of 23
spacefrog_
in reply to: grozo

Hi guys

i've found a fix for this problem, please follow the following procedure to fix the problem forever

As many might know, 3 ds Max's Sketchup import fails on Sketchup 2013/2014 files
You have to explicitely save to V8 format in Sketchup to make the Files compatible
with the 3ds Max importer.
A few days ago i discovered a quick fix for this issue

Steps:

* Goto the Trimble homepage and download Sketchup SDK
  http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/developer/sdk_start.html

* In the Max root folder, rename "SketchUpReader.dll" to "SketchUpReader_BAK.dll"

* Extract the downloaded zipfile (SketchUp-SDK-Win.zip) somewhere,

* Locate the following file in your extract-location
  "deprecated\SkpReader\Binaries\Windows\SketchUpReader.dll"

* Copy this file to your 3ds Max 2014 folder  

* Restart 3ds Max and enjoy the new Sktechup 2013&2014 import capability

Notes:

* i did not test this fix to all extents, but it worked for me on medium complex files

* According to Trimble, the "SketchUpReader" functionality will be deprecated and removed
  with Sketchup 2015 ( check the docs coming with the SDK ). So don't expect this fix to
  still work with Sktechup 2015 files, once Sketchup 2015 gets released

Best regards, Josef Wienerroither ( spacefrog ) 

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 7 of 23
Edward_Xiao

So .... It cannot be version 2013 ??

Message 8 of 23
grozo
in reply to: Edward_Xiao

Try to save, save as sketchup 8.
Message 9 of 23
gunnargarness

I know about using Sketchup 8 and this is not a Sketchup version problem.  Import fails from models created by SU 8 (and all earlier versions as well).  

It's definitely something about the revit models themselves.   What I don't know.  Some revit models generate this error and some don't.  Its not how large the model is (small ones fail and big ones don't sometimes) and its not phasing information.  And its not the DWG version thats exported (it happens when Revit exports acad 2013, 2007 and 2004 formats).  I'm at a loss here.

Message 10 of 23
PROH
in reply to: gunnargarness

Hi. Are you talking SketchUp or Revit here?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 11 of 23
gunnargarness
in reply to: PROH

Dwg export from Revit 2015 > imported into Sketchup Pro 2014 saved down to SU8 format > inported into 3ds Max Design 2015.  

The problem occurs on import into 3DS with some but not all files.  Size doesn't seem to matter (some big ones work, some small ones don't) and I've tried every settings permutation I can think of (saving as dwg 2013, 2007, and 2004 from Revit and saving as 7, 8 and 2014 from sketchup).  None of it makes no difference.    Its got to be a setting or soemthing in the Revit file itself. 

I know this is a complicated fringe case but I really need to make this work.   Embellishing/changing, adding details to models in sketchup is ten times quicker than trying tro add all that detail directly in Revit. 

Message 12 of 23

This works a treat!! I don't understand how or why.

Currently using Sketchup 2014 and 3Ds Max Design 2015.

Thanks a million spacefrog.

Message 13 of 23

Just a heads up:

Trimble just  released the new Sketchup 2015 Version:

The fix i mention above still works just fine even with Sketchup 2015 files !!!

So contrary to the things which were stated in the SDK readme, Trimble seemed to have left the functionality intact. So downloading the most recent SDK version from Trimble , replacing the DLL immediatly gives you Sketchup 2015 import functionality in Max 2014/2015 !!

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 14 of 23
SpencerBoom
in reply to: spacefrog_

I had a file from Sketchup 2015 that I couldn't load into 3ds Max 2015, receiving the same error as in the OP. Tried saving to Sketchup 8 (and 7, and every version up to the latest) and none would load into Max 2015.

Spacefrog, I tried your suggestion and found that in the SDK the path to the DLL has changed - there's now x64 and an x86 versions. Strangely, even though my Max install is x64 the x86 DLL worked better... But it still didn't work. The files would almost load (and wouldn't start unless I told it to not import hidden geometry), but then fail with the same message. (Whereas the x64 DLL caused the import process to not start in the first place - it acted like the DLL was missing or something.)

In frustration I tried a last resort: Importing the Sketchup 8 file into a version of 3ds Max 2014 I have on another machine. That worked!

And presumably your fix would work with this older install as well, Spacefrog. 

But for whatever reason, Max 2015 isn't working in my case, where Max 2014 does. YMMV. 

Message 15 of 23
thanhphongasd

I had same error. My solution:

1. save sketchup 7 version
2. in box "Materials": chose other folder with default of 3dsmax.

i using max 2013 64bit and sketchup 2013. It work well.

Message 16 of 23
pig668

You can also export as *.3ds file and you can import in 3D MAX !

Message 17 of 23
xEndlessxUrbiax

I am getting the same error using:

3dsMax Design 2015

Sketchup Pro 2015

The file I am having troubles with is a Sketchup file that was originally a Revit import. I tried the solution outlined by spacefrog with both the x64 and x86 and neither work. I've attached a screenshot of the error message.

I import my models in chunks (site, exterior, interior, etc...) which are all inside one Sketchup file. The site imported fine but the exterior will not import. I'm thinking the geometry might be a problem so I'm messing around with exploding and saving down to SU versions 8 and 7, so far no luck.

Message 18 of 23

Dear Mr/Ms

I really thank to your quick reply! I found the solution for issue: change
folder export map (from Sketchup to 3dsmax) instead default folder of
3dsmax. (Certainly I saved sketup 7 version before import to 3dsmax).

I hope my solution will be help for other.

Anyway I would like to thank your help. Thank you!

--
*Nguyễn Thanh Phong*

Architect
(+84) *0983 810 180*
thanhphongasd@gmail.com
Message 19 of 23

Dear Mr/Ms

I really thank to your quick reply! I found the solution for issue: change
folder export map (from Sketchup to 3dsmax) instead default folder of
3dsmax. (Certainly I saved sketup 7 version before import to 3dsmax).

I hope my solution will be help for other.

Anyway I would like to thank your help. Thank you!

--
*Nguyễn Thanh Phong*

Architect
(+84) *0983 810 180*
thanhphongasd@gmail.com
Message 20 of 23
suhani.52363
in reply to: spacefrog_

hi 

i tried for this method. but he thing is i dnt have SketchUpReader.dll file in my sketchup file. so in that case what to do?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report