Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scene Materials are Missing in Material/Map Browser

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
tristandis
19837 Views, 31 Replies

Scene Materials are Missing in Material/Map Browser

When I open any 3ds max scene I can't see maps and materials in Material/Map Browser. I still can load material libraries, but I can't find anywhere scene materials.
I've attached the screen-cap to show how it looks like.

31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: frdcha

Thank you for the update @frdcha,

I'm flying a bit blind because I cannot create new users on my laptop here to test this due to corporate policy, but you ask a very good question.  When you linked to it, was it an empty scene?  Was thinking that might explain the lack of scene materials in there.  

If you have those .mpl's to attach here that would be great and I can use those to enter information into the tracker case about this problem.  If you create a user named "Test" in Windows, does it all work?  Thanks very much for the info.

Best Regards,

Message 22 of 32
Nheengatu
in reply to: frdcha

Hi,

I found the .mpl file but when I load it manually there's no scene materials group.

I found an old version of a customized .mpl file in my archives, loaded it and it worked, the scene materials group is there??

It doesn't explain why it doesn't work whith the default max2016 .mpl file but at least I can use it this way.

Thanks for the help.

Hello! 

I would like to know where you found this .mpl file, as you did to at least ease the suituation.iar a suituação.

Message 23 of 32

Hello @Nheengatu,

The .mpl files are stored here: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2016 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\defaults\MAX

They are also stored in defaults and in en-us, but the link above is the main location.  If it's not working maybe try deleting it and rertarting Max.  

Best Regards,

Message 24 of 32

Hello Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis,

I already did this procedure, but the problem continues. I need to load this .mpl file manually by clicking Get material and then Addictional Option >> Load Layout ...
If I reset the Max it remains stable, but if I restart Max, then I must redo the procedure manually.

Sorry for my english, I'm translating for google.

Thanks for answering!

Nheengatu (Joao Freitas) 

Message 25 of 32

Thank you for the information @Nheengatu!  

I have seen this happen if the windows username contains special characters such as "ó, ò, ñ".  Does your windows username contain any of these types of characters? 

Best Regards,

Message 26 of 32

Yes Alfred.DeFlaminis , my username is John (João). I will change this to see the result.
Thank you!  

Any result I return.

Nheengatu

Message 27 of 32

Cool name @Nheengatu!

As a test you might just create a new user in case some of your other software needs your name to remain as it was.  Might be easier to create a new user and test it and if it works, then rename your login.  Either way, I'm here for you if you need me.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 28 of 32

Alfred.DeFlaminis,

Thank you very much!

Message 29 of 32

Hello Alfred.DeFlaminis,

Thank you, thank you very much! Wow
Problem solved!!!
Really the problem was with my username, I did what you recommended and now it's perfect!
Thank you one more time!!!

Nheengatu

Message 30 of 32

Glad to hear it @Nheengatu!  Thanks very much for the confirmation and I'm really happy that it's all working now.  Smiley LOL

Best Regards,

Message 31 of 32

I thank you, thank you Alfred.DeFlaminis.

Message 32 of 32
khizer_321
in reply to: tristandis

Hi

I was working on a project I press 'm' for materials my materials shows up then I click on standard open 'material/map browser' i look to find vray drop down manu nothing shows up there is no tab for vray, but then in the top-left corner there is a drop down manu which say 'show incompatible' when I check that only then he vray tab shows up, but after using it that way, the materials aren't really functioning the way suppose to,

For the record i was working on a project just before this and i followed the exact same steps and everything worked. I did not had to even check 'show incompatible' the vray showed without it. so can anyone help me??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report