Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retopology tools for 3dsmax 2021

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Michele3D1980
546 Views, 5 Replies

Retopology tools for 3dsmax 2021

I have a question.

I own a perpetual license and the last version of 3DSMax I "purchased" (renewed) was the 2021.
I received the updates, including the 2021.3.

Unfortunately I did not receive the link to download the retopology tools.
It never appeared in my account or in the desktop App.

I don't understand why it was released as a standalone tool.
How can I get this tool, as license holder of Max 2021?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RobH2
in reply to: Michele3D1980

They do that to roll out a new feature faster than waiting till the entire program is compiled and released. That way we don't have to wait so long for new features. If you purchased/renewed Max 2021 just log into your account and go to 'Product Updates' to download it. 

retopo2021.jpg

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 6
Michele3D1980
in reply to: RobH2

I purchased 3dsmax 2021 (commercial version, it was the maintenance of perpetual license) but that download never has been available in my products update list. In 2022 I did not renew it because they were ending the perpetual license program.

Message 4 of 6

I don't know if in my account there is something not working properly / bugged.
In the desktop app I am still getting updates like hotfixes (and even after I did not renew I was able to update max 2021 to 2021.2 and 2021,3) but the account products update list is empty.

Message 5 of 6
pokoy
in reply to: Michele3D1980

The problem is that for perpetual license owners without a current subscription plan you will only have access to your 'old' installation files, updates and security fixes - plus, it's hidden unless you switch to 'classic view' on your profile's products page.

Retopology tools are not being displayed in classic view, which basically means we can't download them.

I guess that's Autodesk's way of penalizing you (and me) for preferring to stay on perpetual license and not going with subscription.

Message 6 of 6
Michele3D1980
in reply to: pokoy

I noticed that when finally I managed to open classic view.

Too bad it was not included in 2021.3 install main file (3 or 4 GB) because it should have been a default tool. 

When I create my own models from scratch (often) I use a clean topology, mostly 4 sided polygons, because it's more suitable for subdivisions and animation, but a retopology tool is very useful when you have to work with sculpted or scanned meshes. 

I am not posting the name here and I am not advertising it but I have found a good commercial retopology plugin; it works well and luckily is not very expensive (approximately 110 $).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report