Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with cursor / selecting

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
iskren87
1048 Views, 6 Replies

Problem with cursor / selecting

Hello ! 
Today my max glitched and I cannot continue working on my project. When I try to select edge/ vertex / object with my cursor, it's like my real cursor is like 1cm above the one I see. Any tips how to fix this ? It looks like some kind of 5k 32:9 resolution problem. Here is a youtube video of what is going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQKHqdvu9w

Every day some new glitch appears. I am not sure why I even pay for this...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RobH2
in reply to: iskren87

If you can provide some system details someone may be able to help you. What version of Max, what video card, what computer, etc? What have you tried to solve it? Uninstall and reinstall video drivers, reinstall mouse drivers, rebooted, tried a new ENU folder, etc. All of those can lead to a solution. Max is more stable than ever these days so it's likely a conflict with something on your system. But without info, no one can help very much. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 7
iskren87
in reply to: RobH2

Hi !
Thank you for your answer.
My rig is:
CPU - Intel 7940x
GPU - 2080ti , 1080ti
RAM - 64GB
MOBO - ROG Apex
Monitor - Dell 32:9 5k

I fixed that problem, by importing the model into new scene. New ENU Folder should work as well I think. But do I have to do that every time when I get that glitch ? 😞

Message 4 of 7
Nil15

I have the same problem in 3ds max 2022. I'd like to fix this without having to import anything anywhere. Is there any explanation for this issue?

Message 5 of 7
RobH2

I get the issue now and again. I guess it's some sort of fleeting bug. I learned years ago that Max can be kind of tender and that an ENU reset is often the solution. However, when you do that, unless you take some care, you wipe out all of your customizations and plugins. With some prudence and technique, you can restore all of that but that's for a different discussion and help with restoring the ENU can be found here on the forum. I posted my workflow and you can find that as it details how I do it. 

But, what I've incorporated into my weekly routine is that I back up my ENU automatically 3 times a week with a backup program that does it automatically. I keep two weeks worth. There are any number of backup programs that will do that so just choose one. Then, if you have a glitch, like this one, just go back to the last known good spot in time and restore that ENU and you are up and running again. Generally, unless you've installed a new plugin in the past day or so, you'll be going in just a couple of minutes like nothing ever happened. 

I even have a shortcut link on my Desktop to my ENU folder and my backups are stored in that same place. So, if I have a problem I go to that folder, delete the 'ENU' folder there, find the backup I want and change it's name to "ENU" and restart Max. Problem solved in about 15-seconds. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 6 of 7
RobH2

FYI, I've never seen an explanation to the issue. I just use my workaround and get back to work. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Diffus3d

I wonder, is the distance about the same as the taskbar size?  Someone else mentioned in a thread that when they use max on their non-primary monitor the taskbar needs to be hidden or something.  I wonder if there's something there.

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

View Max Tips/Tricks Megathread

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report