Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SP3 FBX export bug

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
StephenMF
1984 Views, 10 Replies

New SP3 FBX export bug

It seems like Max 2015 SP3 has an error in FBX export.

After importing to unity3D the UVWs where messed up.

I Uninstalled SP3 and things where back to normal.

Question is if this a Unity3D error or a Max 2015 SP3 error.

See pic below...

Can someone confirm and maybe help find a solution?

Thanks

Stephen

bad-FBX-export.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
anne.caitlyn
in reply to: StephenMF

I think I experience the same problem with Unity3D and 3dsMax 2015 SP3. It seems I have problems with the normals as well. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

Message 3 of 11
spacefrog_
in reply to: anne.caitlyn

I checked some of my projects ( Max -> Unity ) with Max 2015SP3 and UVs worked as expected...

Could you provide a simple Max scene sample which reproduces the issue ?

It should be quite easy to find the root for the problem by using the FBX ASCII export option with both SP2 and SP3 and compare both files.... Exact Unity version would be interesting too...

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 4 of 11
lightcube

I just experienced an identical bug exporting to FBX. All the UVS are wacky in Max 2015 SP3/Extension 2. I needed to get files into Softimage for a client. Exporting via OBJ gives accurate UVs, so we used that instead. But we lost a lot of the original data, such as the Vertex Alpha, which is something that the client really wanted.

I also noticed problems when trying to export Blend Materials. Seems like this should be a standard FBX feature.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 5 of 11
anddrys
in reply to: lightcube

We have the same problem. 

It seems both the normals and uvw's change vertex randomly within a quad. Turning triangulation on the affected polygons/quads solves the problem, but its to big a hassle.

We've all downgraded to sp2. 

We have experienced this problem on several machins in different project.

The problem is also visible in FBX-Rreview (windows app).

Message 6 of 11
contact

I am also experiencing this same issue.  I can confirm that this issue is a FBX exporting issue within Max 2015.

I solved the issue by throwing a "Turn to Mesh" modifier on the entire object before export, then I just used the standard "Autodesk Media & Entertainment" FBX preset.  This isn't ideal, but it certainly solves the issue for me until Autodesk fixes it.  Here's an image of my solution results.  My model only has normals applied right now, but you can still see the difference.

Message 7 of 11
Mrashand

Still having exactly the same issue here.

Have the bug with all characters I've made since upgrading from Max 2014 to 2015.

They are skinned characters, so a lot of the fixes suggested (exporting as OBJ, turning to mesh etc) won't work.

On the 1st character it happened with, the issue was with only a couple of individual elements (within 1 skinned model). 

On the 2nd, it's still only certain elements, but Many more of them.

Seems its related to having used the Symmetry modifier at some point in the model's creation.

I can re-create it with these very simple steps, and I've attached the Max file & FBX for these test spheres:

Max_UVbug1.png

I'm now downgrading to SP2.

Message 8 of 11
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Mrashand

If it hasn't been fixed by now it probably never will (in 2015) - Max 2016 has already been released and only very rarely are patches for non-current versions ever released.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 9 of 11
ik3d
in reply to: Steve_Curley

If u add an STL check on top of the model and reexport it fixes the issues. Still very annoying tho.

Message 10 of 11
twi1ightman
in reply to: Steve_Curley

This is not serious! If the product is seen is a serious problem, it is necessary to fix, regardless of product obsolescence.
I do not like the version of 2016, I want to use the version of 2015 and it is not so old, that Autodesk cease to support it!

This is just a small fix, is it really so difficult?!!

Message 11 of 11
keqcdkjf
in reply to: twi1ightman

Hi!

Had the same problem for YEARS, and just have found an easy solution:

You need to reset/clear vertex color channel prior to export (or further editing): assign UVWMap Clear modifier over your corrupted mesh with default setting (channel 0), or use Channel Info tool to clear the problem channel. 

Hope it helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report