Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Dlls. in 3ds Max 2017 Mental Ray

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
16974 Views, 6 Replies

Missing Dlls. in 3ds Max 2017 Mental Ray

The 3ds Max dlls seem to vanish one fine day, upon closer inspection I found that there was a windows update. Now after that I have repaired , reinstalled and uninstalled and performed a clean reinstall of 3ds Max 2017 but it still does not seem to work. error 1.png

This is the error i seem to be getting.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

So after some research , I came across this solution.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-hardware-os/mentalray-dll-not-loading-max17/td-p/6282811

but upon installation it doesn't seem to work

error 2.png

when selected , ( the blank areas assuming they've got the rendering modes) 3ds max crashes

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

any solution?

I am experiencing the same problem

Message 4 of 7
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous and @Anonymous,

This thread is before my time but it never got an answer so I wanted to answer here.  Mental Ray seems to be not installed or has an installation issue, please try to reinstall it.  I have included the installers in my attachment.  You'll want to run the installer as an administrator if you have any issues.  Thank you!  Please let me know if you have problems.  

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

sorry for the late reply , I actually went back to an older version of max to finish work. The problem is in two stages , one is the admin privileges which you need for the installation. Second is the fact that mental ray doesnt get installed by default during the installation.Reinstall the software , this time taking care to go through each installation prompt , there's a screen where you choose what products to install, here expand and check if all the mental ray assets are checked for installation. If all elese fails , i found this mental ray installation on on one of the posts on the forum. ( Sorry cant seem to remember who posted it ), worked for me 🙂
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Message 7 of 7
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

For the first time I can remember, the list of install options was scrollable in the 2017 setup and a lot of people have missed the Mental Ray installers.  What is strange is for me they are enabled by default but I gather that is not the case for everyone.  I'm glad it's working now and thanks for posting the link, kudos given!  

Admin is required for some people, but not all it seems.  I think this has to do with various anti-virus software and running as admin seems to create exceptions for the AV programs.  

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report