Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2022 Crashing after every render

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
CreativeFRV
1069 Views, 7 Replies

Max 2022 Crashing after every render

I'm on a large project that requires 1000's of frames. I'm using my GPU to render on my GeForce RTX 2080. The renders are quick, 1-3 min per frame. After every block of renders (usually 100-300 frames) Max crashes. Now it's started crashing after a single frame but it seems only in overwrite mode. This is proving  a challenge any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Diffus3d
in reply to: CreativeFRV

It sounds like a system issue to me.  Maybe some kind of real time scanning software is interfering with the write operation.  (Gdrive, OneDrive, etc. might also tie up the files occassionally.) 

Is there a chance your compositor is accessing those files while you are trying to write to them?  Might also prevent it. 

Best Regards,

AJ

Message 3 of 8
CreativeFRV

Interesting, I am running dropbox and after effects which are both accessing the files. Seem odd that, that would cause crashing. 

Message 4 of 8
spacefrog_

I doubt its the file access that causes the crash

It's more likely  that After Effects  and your 3ds Max renderer's  GPU rendering may not go along well enough, to keep the system stable. I simply would stop doing anything else on the machine , close after effects and let 3ds Max render trough and see how far it goes. If it works then, After Effects and you GPU rendererdo not like each other ( After Effects wants GPU resources too ). Might even be a graphics driver issue, or  a power supply issue ( if you got a too weak one ) and so on. There are many possible causes for such crashes

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 5 of 8
CreativeFRV
in reply to: spacefrog_

Tried quitting AE and just running Max, rendered overnight, after about 10 hours it crashed, did not complete the sequence, rendered about 200 out of 260 frames. So it seems it not AE that is causing the problem. 

Frank

Message 6 of 8
Diffus3d

What happens if you source the files and save them outside of gdrive/onedrive/dropbox folder?  I've had write problems with those in the past, especially dropbox.  Maybe SpaceFrog is right and it has nothing to do with it, but as a test it would be nice to try.  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 8
CreativeFRV

Dropbox was indeed the issue. Once I saved to my local drive (which I actually was with DB but it was still trying to sync) everything worked fine. So it must have something to do with the speed at which DB was syncing my files and the write time... just odd that it only happed at the very end. It was inconsistent though. The number of frames before a crash varied from 2 to all of them. Guess I'll just render local and then transfer the files. 

Message 8 of 8
Diffus3d

Thanks for posting the update!  I've also had the same problem with DropBox, but Onedrive works perfectly for me.   My team is all remote now and we've mapped OneDrive to a network drive letter so all our paths are the same when we work.  So far, no problems at all.  

Best regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report