Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2020 Space Bar Lock

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
open-range
3712 Views, 9 Replies

Max 2020 Space Bar Lock

Previously pressing the space bar would "lock/unlock selection". New in Max 2020 pressing the space bar brings up a small pop up menu and one must then mouse click in the pop up menu to lock or unlock selection. This extra step that is suddenly required may be useful for some but I want to disable it. I want to revert the space bar to it's previous hot key behavior of lock/unlock selection without bringing up the new pop up menu. Is there somewhere in the customize user interface where I could make that change? Thanks for any help.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Daf
Advisor
in reply to: open-range

Hey Mark,

You should be able to set the space bar to any action you want through the Hotkey Editor. Have you tried that? I always set mine to "Show End Result" - I had no problem doing so with 2020.

Daf

3DS Max 2020.3
i7-4790 @4GHz • 32GB • GTX 1080/8GB • Windows 7 Pro
Message 3 of 10
open-range
in reply to: Daf

Hi Daf and thank sfor your reply. I have tried using the hot key editor to revert the long standing, formerly default, space bar hot key to lock/unlock selection. The only thing I have been able to accomplish, after some frustrating time sink, is now that annoying little pop menu, just introduced in 2020, no longer pops up, BUT the space bar does not lock selection.

The space bar-lock selection action in the hot key editor is assigned to Track View. I think it might work in Track View but I want it to work in the main UI like it has for the past 15+ years up until now.

Message 4 of 10
Daf
Advisor

If you still have a previous version of Max installed try saving those hotkeys (assuming the space bar is set how you want it)  - then in the 2020 version import that file. The new hotkey editor will let you import the old .kdbx files - click the gear icon (next to hotkey set) and then load from file.

Hot Key Editor Reference

Don't forget about the shortcut override toggle when checking - that has caused me grief in the past when hot keys weren't working.

Daf

3DS Max 2020.3
i7-4790 @4GHz • 32GB • GTX 1080/8GB • Windows 7 Pro
Message 5 of 10
aon.914858227

@open-range wrote:

Hi Daf and thank sfor your reply. I have tried using the hot key editor to revert the long standing, formerly default, space bar hot key to lock/unlock selection. The only thing I have been able to accomplish, after some frustrating time sink, is now that annoying little pop menu, just introduced in 2020, no longer pops up, BUT the space bar does not lock selection.

The space bar-lock selection action in the hot key editor is assigned to Track View. I think it might work in Track View but I want it to work in the main UI like it has for the past 15+ years up until now.

Comon, it`s not that difficult: Type in 'Selection' in the search box and assign the spacebar to the first entry:

selection.JPG

Message 6 of 10
open-range
in reply to: aon.914858227

aon, thank you for that. I was using "Lock". I did not know, or notice in the list,  that I needed to assign the space bar to "Selection Lock toggle". Got it working now. Thanks again.

Message 7 of 10
Renderbydesign

Thanks guys this has really sucked. I would be curious as to what the vantage of adding all the extra steps were. Maybe we are missing something cool lol

Message 8 of 10

The advantage? Of changing an interface behavior that has been in place since 3DS Max 2.5 (at least!)?

This to me is like a little thing that Autodesk does with each new version: it's drops in something that has no intrinsic value but will absolutely screw with it's most loyal customers. If I didn't know better I'd almost say someone in the UI team actually wants the company to do badly by pissing off it's customers time and again.

And while we're at it, how is that the Keyboard list is so unbelievably counter-intuitive?

Doug Bowker
www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com
Message 9 of 10

Thank you for this fix. I have been using Max for 22 yrs. and I would have also went into a time sink to to revert this ultimately useless and arcane "New Feature" back to something useful and simple.

Message 10 of 10
lty84983547
in reply to: aon.914858227

thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report