Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2017 "Could not initialize the graphic device."

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
jfincher
18444 Views, 21 Replies

Max 2017 "Could not initialize the graphic device."

I have a few slave rendering machines that I very commonly load up scenes with in order to run a job.  No video card on the machine, I just remote in and load Max, open the job and run the batch render window.

Up until 2016 version this hasn't been an issue at all.  Without the graphics card obviously there's nothing to see in the viewport, but it's no big deal.  Now that I'm testing around with 2017 today I find out that 2017 flat out refuses to even open, and promptly closes itself after opening an error window and you click the "OK" button.

---------------------

Here's the error:
"3ds Max Graphic Device Error"

Could not initialize the graphic device.

Potential solutions are:

- Update your graphics drivers and retry

- Change the graphic device (DirectX / OpenGL, ...) used by 3ds Max with the command line : "3dsmax.exe -h"

The application will exit.

----------------------

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tags (1)
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Hello @jfincher,

I know that in 2017 it uses the GPU a lot more for common tasks, but I'll need to email some folks about this issue and get back to you when I know more about it.  I will do so now and report back in a day or two about this.  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 22

Hello @jfincher,

I did find this in the bug tracker and I have updated the tracker with a link to this thread.  For the time being, this is a known issue without a workaround and QA and development are aware of it.  

Best Regards,

Message 4 of 22

Thanks @Alfred.DeFlaminis

A decent enough work around that was suggested on other forums was to just run the "Change Graphics Mode" through the Start Menu >> Autodesk >> 3ds Max folder.  Open that up, change to Nitrous Software mode.

Message 5 of 22

Thank you for sharing that @jfincher, I am entering that information into the bug tracker.

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 22

Hello @jfincher,

I wanted to follow up on this with another workaround for this issue.  One of the developers has created a note on the tracker case with the following information as another workaround.  

"Run Max with –vxw flag"  which is 'warp mode'.  

I just wanted to add this bit of info to the thread, and thank you.  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 22
tech
in reply to: jfincher

I am having the same issue, using Deadline render manager, every time it changes jobs it resets the default graphics mode and I would have to log back in to change it back to Nitrous Software mode.

Thanks

Message 8 of 22
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: tech

Hello @tech,

That's a bit tricky, Deadline isn't something I know too much about on a technical support level.  You may want to contact ThinkBox and ask about this, perhaps Deadline launches Max with it's own command and bypasses the warp mode or something like that.  

Do you think it's ignoring the command switches or perhaps resetting you user settings after every render?  What method of setting the renderer are you using?  Maybe you could set the ENU folder on those boxes to read-only if it's resetting your settings.  If it's somehow bypassing the command switch, then I think ThinkBox might have an idea about that.  

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 22
tech
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thanks Alfred, I've been on to Deadline as well, Issue seems to have resolved itself, if it appears again I'll definitely try making the ENU folder read only.

Cheers

Eoin

Message 10 of 22
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: tech

Thanks for the update @tech, I appreciate it.  If it starts up again and you need any help please post and I'll do whatever I can to help you. 

Best Regards,

Message 11 of 22

yes this is my big problem...i cant launch 3ds max...same problem same.....what is the solving method**anybody knows that?((((((

Message 12 of 22

Hello @dincerozcan123123,

There are two solutions marked in this thread, did neither of them work for you?  Please describe your issue?  It's always best to start a new thread for each issue.  If none of the posts in this thread helped you, I will move your post to a new thread.  Please describe your problem and what you've tried and thanks for doing so.

Best Regards,

Message 13 of 22

thanka a lot i solve my problem from start menü autodesk change graphic
device...this is the way...
Message 14 of 22

We have the same problem with Max 2018. Changing the device to Nitrous (software) got rid of the error message but just gave us the generic "An error has occurred and the application will now close." on startup which is really no better!

Message 15 of 22

Hello @accounts and welcome to the community,

Do you get a CER window after it crashes?  If so, please input your forum email address in there and I can look at the logs to see what happened.  Thanks so much for doing that.  I need to collect as much information as possible about this.  

Best Regards,

Message 16 of 22

Same issue as above abnd all of the posted solutions tried + dwongrading video drivers. Always the same results. I've posted the Error report with my email address as requested. Let me know if there is a further fix - thanks

Message 17 of 22

Hello @jamesandrews9DB4J,

Thank you for submitting your email address with the CER.  The report tells me that you need to update Arnold.  You can do this on the Solid Angle website or through manage.autodesk.com.  Will you please try that for me?

Best Regards,

Message 18 of 22
luaidweik

thank you, You solved my problem

Message 19 of 22
KhayyamG
Message 20 of 22
MarvinMaurer
in reply to: KhayyamG

Hey there Community and Autodesk-Team,

for me none of the above mentioned options worked.

What I tried until now:

• installing/reinstalling the application (3DSMax 2019 - Educational/Student)
  • updating 3DS Max to the latest Version 2019.
  • reinstalling the most recent NVIDIA Drivers 417.35
  • I also tried every possible display driver selection (nitrous_Direct3D_11/9/software; legacy_direct3D/openGL)

Can't find any solution on the web. What are you guys recommending me to do?

I didn't run into any problems with Inventor_Pro_2019.

Is there anybody out there that can help me with that?
Do you guys know about an issue with my GraphicsCard: EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti SC+

Any help is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Marvin

My System:
WIN_10_Professional_64Bit

Intel i7 5960X
EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti SC+

32GB Corsair LPX 2600 (non_ECC)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report