Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Indie just for the one, first year ?

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
JezEmin
2968 Views, 31 Replies

Is Indie just for the one, first year ?

Is Indie just for those starting out in 3D and in their first year of paid employment ?

Or is the Indie subscription renewable every year ?

There are freelancers out there (like myself) who've been using Max a long time and earn less than $100k, so this option would be perfect for us, though not just for one year.

Any experts from AutoDesk available to answer that please ?

Or any freelancers out there who have successfully renewed their Indie version for a 2nd year ? (not sure when it was first launched so it might be a bit soon to ask)

-------------------------------------------------
3d rendering services
Asus X299-SAGE, 7980xe @ 4000mhz, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro,
1Tb Samsung M.2, 128Gb Corsair LPX DDR4,
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
3DS Max 2023.1 (3DS Max 2022.3, 3DS Max 2021.3 as backup)
Windows 10 Pro.
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
DarrenP
in reply to: JezEmin

this is the requirement

Your annual gross revenue from design work must be less than USD$100,000/year

as far as i know this is only good for a year no info has been given if this will be offered for another year or longer

the auto renewal gets turned off

The automatic renewal will be turned off before your annual subscription of 3ds Max Indie expires.

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 32
JezEmin
in reply to: DarrenP

Yes, I know it's $100k/year, so if you're earning year in year out less than $100k, you're good to go with this, right ?

My guess is that this is for more than one year, and the auto-renewal back to the usual price is to because AD just 'assume' you wanted to do that, right ?

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 4 of 32
DarrenP

@JezEmin wrote:

My guess is that this is for more than one year, and the auto-renewal back to the usual price is to because AD just 'assume' you wanted to do that, right ?

no it was disabled because its not being offered after the 1st year

this is just a pilot program there is no guarantee this will be offered again after a year

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 32
brentscannell

Hi @JezEmin 

As it was mentioned, the indie program is currently in pilot/exploratory mode and there is no word about an extension of time or scope at the moment. The business and offerings teams are monitoring feedback, such as this thread, to inform future offerings. I don't know how long it will run for, but the intent was not to make it only for your first year practicing. If you continue to meet the requirements, provided the program is still available, you ought to be able to renew again.

The billing system was adjusted to not auto-renew at full pricing by default after the indie licensing expires.

Message 6 of 32
ben.maas
in reply to: brentscannell

"The company hasn’t announced a timescale for the worldwide rollout, but said that the Indie subscription had now “gone beyond a pilot program”."

Source : http://www.cgchannel.com/2020/03/autodesk-to-roll-out-3ds-max-indie-worldwide/

This was in the news 1 month ago.

Now you say it is still in a Pilot mode. So is this true or not? 

Message 7 of 32
brentscannell
in reply to: ben.maas

I believe the interest is clear, and there are likely some strategy discussions going on about how this might work at a larger scale, but today is it still a pilot program.

Message 8 of 32
spacefrog_
in reply to: brentscannell

Please Autodesk ... don't mess this up too ..

( like you did with the rest of the licensing options for small teams or indviduals ... )

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 9 of 32
JezEmin

Okay, as amazing luck would happen, my perpetual copy of 3DS Max 2020 today decided to crash persistently over and over, each time it tries to save, i.e. errors on autosaving.....

One idea could be that I purchase a Indie copy @ $250 per year (I'm panicking I don't normally have these sorts of crashes and I've an urgent deadline - it may be a script...).

Please can someone confirm that if I purchase a Subscription to Indie 3DS Max, I do NOT relinquish (surrender) my Perpetual license in exchange ?

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 10 of 32
Anonymous

@JezEmin wrote:

Please can someone confirm that if I purchase a Subscription to Indie 3DS Max, I do NOT relinquish (surrender) my Perpetual license in exchange ?

why would you think this?

this isn’t a promo deal

Message 11 of 32
JezEmin
in reply to: Anonymous

Because I don't trust Autodesk.

3d rendering services
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 12 of 32
info89LDY

Hi guys,

I have been constantly checking online to see news of the Indie program. I am a freelancer who earns well below the requirements, but because I live in Africa I haven't been able to qualify for the program. I know that AD announced two months ago that they will roll the program out worldwide. I am on a 2014 Max version...and I really want to upgrade but am struggling to find the finances for the full subscription. If anyone can provide any kind of news/timeline they may know of that will help me to plan to make the much needed move from 2014 to 2021 possible I would be extremely grateful! 

Thanks a mil

Message 13 of 32
10DSpace
in reply to: info89LDY

@info89LDY 

I know that this is also discussed in the Installation & Licensing forum so in addition to @brentscannell  or @lynn_zhang here maybe @Tiana_Y  can provide an update?

Message 14 of 32
Tiana_Y

Hi @info89LDY

First off, welcome to the Community! I just talked with the 3ds Max team and there is not a set date yet but the team is very actively working on it and it will be available worldwide "soon-ish" 🙂 I am sorry I can't provide you an exact time frame but it is in the works and is in the front of the to do list. 

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Tiana.D
Community Program Manager
Contact Autodesk Support

Message 15 of 32
info89LDY
in reply to: Tiana_Y

Great thanks for getting back to me - I appreciate any kind of feedback...even if it doesn't give an exact date 😏 I am waiting in great anticipation for the release...you can tell the team there that us little guys really appreciate the Indie option...may it come speedily!

Message 16 of 32
Tiana_Y

You are very welcome, it is what we are here for! 🙂 I will pass that sentiment along!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Tiana.D
Community Program Manager
Contact Autodesk Support

Message 17 of 32
destraudo

Dearest autodesk. 

Please let me give you money every year. 

Yours faithfully. 

Me.  

Message 18 of 32
info89LDY
in reply to: destraudo

Hi  @Tiana.D 

Just checking in to see if there's any news here?? I went online to check if I can buy just one month's license for a potential project starting tomorrow, which has always been optional, but I can only see the one year and three year licensing choices. Is this also because I live in Africa? 😒🤔

Thanks

Message 19 of 32
DarrenP

@info89LDY wrote:

but I can only see the one year and three year licensing choices. Is this also because I live in Africa? 😒🤔

Thanks

yes it is

Offer is only eligible to those based in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK or the US

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 20 of 32
info89LDY

just to confirm that the monthly licensing option I am referring to above is a standard one, not the Indie version.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report