Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing custom UI setting from 2023 into 2024.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Mr.Mxyzptlk
703 Views, 4 Replies

Importing custom UI setting from 2023 into 2024.

Would I be breaking anything by doing this? Or do I have to set up everything from scratch in 2024?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CAMedeck
in reply to: Mr.Mxyzptlk

It is not advisable to use saved custom UI settings between versions of 3ds Max.  There can be some differences on how the UI works from one version to another that will cause issues when loading an old UI scheme.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
doug_bowker_3D
in reply to: CAMedeck

No one sees how this as a problem? It can take a long time to set up a custom UI- many shortcuts, context menus and so much more. Saving it for future releases seems like one of the most obvious uses for saving at all.

How is it that Adobe After Effects doesn't even require you to load it in? It just looks for it, asks if you'd like to use the last version's UI and does it for you? Actually, that is the case with all the Adobe products, and they often have significant changes to capabilities and tools between major releases.

For the record, I rarely have had any problems importing old CUI profiles into Max. I think earlier this year I brought one in that was from Max 2020 to 2023 without any issues. Usually, I do it per module though: One for Color Scheme, one for Menus, one for Shortcuts, etc.

Doug Bowker
www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com
Message 4 of 5

Yep agreed, the only reason it's this way is they have no incentive to change, the amount of time users waste is of no major concern for Autodesk. They update the software but some bugs inevitably don't get picked up through beta. Most studios won't implement 3dsmax 2024 into their pipeline for at least 2-3 months after the release.

It's 2023 and it should be seamless by now, it flatly isn't.
Message 5 of 5
darawork
in reply to: JasonLuckett

Hi,

Please vote here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/product-customisation-tied-to-log-in-credentials/idi-p/...

Thanks,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report