Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing a model from Mudbox with multiple UV tiles

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Aupuma
858 Views, 10 Replies

Importing a model from Mudbox with multiple UV tiles

Hi, I'm making a college assignment where I have to make a high-poly model in Mudbox and then export a low-poly version with its normal maps to 3DS Max.

I don't know how to apply the textures properly, because I have 5 UV tiles in Mudbox, so I don't know how to apply multiple tiles to the diffuse color and bump of the material so they get aligned with the model. 

I have thought a different solution where I change the number of tiles in Mudbox to 1 and then export them but when I try to do it, the texture goes crazy and all the painting I have made in the model isn't in the correct place anymore.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
kennyj
in reply to: Aupuma

Welcome to the forums @Aupuma!

Try this: Make each tile its own material.  Then in a new material create a multi-sub object material and place all the materials into this one.  They should retain their alignment, etc.  Apply this multi to your low poly model.

Hope this helps,

Kenny

Message 3 of 11
Aupuma
in reply to: kennyj

It didn't work unfortunately, I have done what you've said and nothing it
doesn't show up as it should, I'll send you some images.
Message 4 of 11
kennyj

hmm...

It is probably not this; but let's rule it out:  Double check your units and make sure your import is the same scale as in Mudbox.  If you brought in a unitless part into a unitless Max, it shouldn't be an issue.  But if you have Max units set to something else, you may have a scaling issue.  Do a quick measurement check to make sure your models are the same size,

You can also do similar with your materials; jump the tiling up to 25 and down to .25 to see if you start to see something.  Again; probably not your issue, but let's make sure.

If you apply each material on its own, do they show up fine?

Shooting from the hip here; send those images when you can...

Kenny

Message 5 of 11
Aupuma
in reply to: kennyj

Oh sorry I replied from Gmail and the images weren't sent 

character.PNGmaterials.PNGtiles.PNG

Message 6 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Aupuma and welcome to the community,

To do this you'll want to use the Multi-Tile Map.  Make sure to set the right tile format!  Please let me know if you have any questions.  I have seen some cases where the viewport display is incorrect with the multi-tile map but the render looks correct, so keep that in your mind.  Happy to help if you have questions, or I can also create a private folder to investigate closer if you'd like.

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Aupuma,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 11
Aupuma
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Sorry for my late response, but I tried to do what you said and I have the same results, if you could create that private folder and investigate the files it would be of great help, thanks

Message 9 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

No problem at all @Aupuma!  I am happy to do that for you.

I have set up a private folder for you if you'd like to upload your files there. You should get an email about it shortly, and if you don't see it please check your SPAM folder. These files are private and will not be shared with anyone but yourself and the support staff. Please let me know if you have any questions. Please use at least an 8 character password or the Box account may not work properly.

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 11
Aupuma
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Okay, files uploaded to Box!!

Message 11 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Aupuma,

I owe you an apology, I didn't get the email notification that you had replied here and I am late in getting you an answer.  I am very sorry about that.  I have checked out the scene and I wanted to update you on how to resolve this.  First, the problem is that tiled textures aren't displaying correctly unless the "Show Shaded map in Viewport" button is turned on in the multi-tile map slot.  You'll need to do this for each material in the multi-sub.  Keep in mind, it must be in the multi-tile map slot.  I have a screenshot below on how to enable it.  I noticed when I did a render that everything was looking correct regardless, so it's just a viewport display issue.  All you need to do is hit that  button.

Can you please try that for me?  

fix.png

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report