Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export 2D cross section of a 3d model

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
orbitsub
671 Views, 2 Replies

How to export 2D cross section of a 3d model

I have a 3D model that I want to create several templates to create the object from foam.

I've tried to export it to AI but it says 'No data to export'. 

Is there another way to get the cross sections?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
hagen.deloss
in reply to: orbitsub

@orbitsub 

Thanks for bringing your question to the forums, it looks like you are visiting as a new member to the 3DS Max forum. I want to extend a warm welcome to the Autodesk Community!

So you are trying to export a vector from 3ds Max, that is a cross section of your 3d model? What version of 3ds Max are you using, and would you be able to provide a scene, or some screenshots so folks can get some further context of the end goal of your project?

Are you using a spline object to export to Illustrator? If not, I would recommend using a spline! You can create a spline shape based off a edge selection with the modeling tool "Create Shape From Selection". Here is a gif of this tool. 

create shape.gif

I hope this helps!

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 3
hagen.deloss
in reply to: orbitsub

Hi @orbitsub 

Any ideas or questions on my previous post? It would be helpful if you had time to give an update, that way other Community Members can benefit from your process 😄

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report