Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to adjust xray mode transparency?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
cdeeks
3692 Views, 3 Replies

How to adjust xray mode transparency?

As title says i need to be able to see behind my mesh to my refrence pics i have on image plane. i am currently using 3ds max 2022 and i remeber being able to adjust the see through value of xray mode (alt+x ) Currently it is on but i can barly make out the ref pic behind it. either am doing it wrong or my eyesight is going lol

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cdeeks
in reply to: cdeeks

Found it under Obj properties/render control / visabilty 1.0-0.0.

Message 3 of 4
spacefrog_

@cdeeks wrote:

Found it under Obj properties/render control / visabilty 1.0-0.0.

Just be careful:

this also makes the object transparent in your renders. Thats something you may not want necessarily.

There is a "See-Through" color setting in "Customize->User interface Customization->Colors->Geometry section"

You can change this color to a darker or lighter one - what also affects the transparence somewhat

Sadly to see the effect on the geometry itself, you have to restart 3ds Max

So its an awkward trial-and-error way to find your sweet spot...

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 4 of 4
spacefrog_

Just for completeness:

you also could put your reference planes on a seperate layer and set display properties ( in the object properties ) to "By Layer" and adjust the layer properties accordingly.

This way you could have a fully shaded background  ref pic with  a wireframe model to work with on top

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report