Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I import and control an fbx animation?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jblower
1374 Views, 2 Replies

how do I import and control an fbx animation?

I bought a construction worker model from turbosquid.  The model has a series of animations (sitting down, driving a vehicle, climbing a ladder).  I don't know how to pull each one I want and/or speed them up.  So I want the worker to stand around.  Then at a point in time turn and walk to the next stage.  Then stand and look around.  I don't know how to use this.  Any help?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Diffus3d
in reply to: jblower

Hello @jblower ,

For most fbx files with animation there are 'takes' in the fbx which contain the individual animations.  Often times they are just consecutive in the timeline and in Max Interactive, Unity, or UDK you just call animations from certain frames.  It really depends on the file.  What you should do is File-> Import and select your FBX.  Then go to the animation section of the import window and see if you have multiple takes.  If the default one doesn't have an animation on it, a second one might.

It sounds like your file is setup for use in Max Interactive, Unity, and UDK which normally would be where you retime these things.  Importing it back into max to break it into clips isn't something I've done exactly.  A good place to start learning about it is probably here.    If it let's you save an XAF I suppose you can then probably use the motion mixer with it and save yourself tons of hassle by managing clips with the interface instead of fussing around with keyframe scaling in the curve editor.   After you'd saved out each animation as a clip you could take a version of your character without animation and then motion mix it.  At least, in theory.  

It's going to take some time to get the hang of it, and I recommend any tutorials that come with 3dsmax on those ideas above.  Also, I tend to do everything but character animation so there are likely some people out there with much better ways of doing this. 

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 3
laschmidtmail
in reply to: Diffus3d

thank you 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report