Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopefully a minor confusion

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Ted_Hadden
287 Views, 2 Replies

Hopefully a minor confusion

I'm slightly confused I think.

In the AutoDESK product display for downloads, I see that there are "Service Packs" listed, currently up to number 4 with 3D Max 2016 ...

However, I've stumbled across several blogs and forums throughout the inter-web, where the publishers of said sites use the term "Extensions".

What's the difference between an Extension and a Service Pack?  Are they one in the same?

IF they are different, where can I find the Extensions for download?  I've found the service packs.

Please note that my avatar is current with this question. 🙂

Look forward to your replies and answers.

Respectfully,

Ted Hadden

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
matthew.d
in reply to: Ted_Hadden

Hi @Ted_Hadden,

Great question!

Extensions are for subscribers and contain new features for that version 3ds Max. In this case, Extension 1 for 3ds Max 2016 brought TextPlus, geodesic voxel and heatmap skinning, new MCG animation controllers, and a few other items. You can learn more about extension 1 here. Service packs on the other hand contain recent fixes for your product version. 

If you are a subscriber, the extensions can be found within your Autodesk Account in the management area. Click downloads under the product and navigate to the updates & add-ons tab. They should also appear in your Autodesk Desktop App, if you are signed-in to it.

updates.png

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 3 of 3
Ted_Hadden
in reply to: matthew.d

Hello Matthew,

Thanks.  I guess I'll have a look.  🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report