Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green orb gizmo when zooming in 3ds max 2017

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
danrod3d
4747 Views, 18 Replies

Green orb gizmo when zooming in 3ds max 2017

This thing drives me nuts, but I can see how it would be useful for others. 🙂

But, how do I remove or turn off the green orb ball that appears when I either use the shortcut keys, or the zoon tool in the viewport? Thanks guys!

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
stephlandmark
in reply to: danrod3d

Agreed; would also like to turn this off.
Message 3 of 19
lightcube

In my opinion, this is a welcome addition. It makes visually explicit the point you are zooming towards. And better yet, when using the Orbit Point of Interest as your default orbit mode, then using ALT+MMB you have that icon to let you know the exact point you zoom towards AND the point you are orbiting.

I'd say that you should embrace this feature.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 4 of 19
danrod3d

Hey lightcube,

I agree with you, for people not familiar with the orbit options and not use to seeing a pinpoint cursor or the center of a transform gizmo as your point of zoom, then I could see that being useful for people. I feel that it should be an option to turn it off for experienced users like my self. 🙂 I've been using max since 1999, back when it was kinetics I think? 

I think it would be valuable for artists to be able to turn this feature off, I hear the same response from other artists in the industry as well. If there is a way to turn it off, I would love to know how to do it as a personal preference and not a forced exception. 🙂

Danny

www.danrod3d.com

Message 5 of 19
lightcube

@danrod3d wrote:

for people not familiar with the orbit options and not use to seeing a pinpoint cursor or the center of a transform gizmo as your point of zoom, then I could see that being useful for people. I feel that it should be an option to turn it off for experienced users like my self. 🙂 I've been using max since 1999

🙂

R3 was my introduction to Max. Still, this is an addition that, in my opnion, just adds visual information. I personally cannot see it having any kind of negative impact, but I guess we all have our own preferences.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 6 of 19
danrod3d
in reply to: lightcube

I hear ya. 🙂 I suppose I am so use to knowing where I am rotating around and love the orbit tools in max that I feel its redundant for me. So far I see nothign though on turnign it off. 😕

Message 7 of 19
lomarco

Have you found the way to hide/remove that green ball ?

Alex
Message 8 of 19
danrod3d
in reply to: lomarco

Unfortunately no I have not.. 😕

Message 9 of 19
sebastian___

Just select another option like Orbit SubObject from the Orbit tool (low right corner), and the green thingy is gone.

GUID-7C63D03A-07C8-4DCA-92C4-25110FB63A9D-low

I didn't even saw this green ball, seems I'm so used to switch after install to the SubObject orbit. But it seems it's a useful option, the way it snaps to everything, right where you click with the mouse.

Message 10 of 19
spacefrog_
in reply to: sebastian___

Just to confirm sebastian's post:

the new orbit point of interest  mode is a NEW additional orbit mode you got. You don't have to use it and can keep using orbit subobject mode or whatever you preferred and never see the green ball. For me there are situations ( most of the time), where i prefer the explicit orbit center positioning of the orbit POI mode, other times i prefer to keep orbiting arround subobjects, so i switch between those two.

So Max 2017 users gained an additional option, but did not loose anything with that change...

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 11 of 19
Genko3D
in reply to: spacefrog_

Hi guys,

Is there a way to turn the green orb off when zooming? 

Message 12 of 19
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Genko3D

Hello @Genko3D,

I don't think you can disable it fully, it's designed to be there on zoom in any mode.  It's actually pretty spiffy once you get used to it.  

In point of interest orbit mode it does stick to the nearest face in Z which is a great feature imho.  At first I wasn't sure about it but after using it for these 2 months I've grown quite fond of it.  

Best Regards,

Message 13 of 19
Genko3D
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Ok, i'll try to get used to it. 🙂

Thanks!

Message 14 of 19
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Genko3D

Hello @Genko3D,

Thanks for being awesome about it!  I did look for a way to disable it but I couldn't find one.  I know it's not what you wanted but at least it can be turned off for the other operations.  

Best Regards,

Message 15 of 19
redipsd

Is there still no way to disable it?? Not even in the latest service pack (SP3)? I don't like the "zoom in where your mouse cursor is" thing and prefer to zoom in from the middle of the screen, just like most 3d software and game editors, so I always disable that when installing Max, from "Customize - Customize User Interface - Mouse" and turning off "Zoom About Mouse Point" (for both perspective and orthographic views). That green ball shouldn't be there. It's distracting. It didn't exist in 2016. How do I make it go away?

And why green? It's garish and ugly. Doesn't even fit with the new turquoise "look".

Message 16 of 19
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: redipsd

Hello @redipsd,

I don't believe this is a way to turn it off.  If you use orbit subobject pivot mode then it only appears when you zoom with Control and Alt.  If you use the mouse wheel to zoom instead, it will be gone. Otherwise, it's here to stay.   The best suggestion I can give is to fill out a Feature Request to hide or change the look of it.  

Best Regards,

Message 17 of 19

is there a way to turn this off in 2018? I find it very distracting and not useful in the least

Message 18 of 19

Just remove AutoCamMax.gup from x:\3ds max\stdplugs . It will remove from Max all ****ty "tools" like Viewcube, Green Orb gizmo, SteeringWheels...

In my experience it will makes Max much more stable. I always remove it after since it was first time  introduced.

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 19 of 19

@RGhost77

You are a champion, a hero, possibly the greatest person to ever walk among mortals, I thank you Profoundly!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report