Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature request, Autokey only moved axis. Not all 9 keys but 1 key.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Pendali
2063 Views, 13 Replies

Feature request, Autokey only moved axis. Not all 9 keys but 1 key.

Is there a way to have Autokey set a key on only one axis, and not all of the others?

For example, if I have Autokey turned on, and I move an object down in Z at frame 30, I get a key on Z, but I also get keys on X and Y, even though their values haven't changed. (it also sets keys on rotation and scale, WHY!?)

I animate with CURVES so getting my curves ruined every time I make a key is pretty **** annoying.

Give me 1 key NOT 9. 

Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
hagen.deloss
in reply to: Pendali

Hello @Pendali

Thanks for posting your question on the forums! I think I misunderstood your issue, autokey is creating a keyframe on every axis of scale, rotation and location? What version of 3DS max are you using? You may have Key All turned on, here's how to find out if you have that feature turned on.

To keyframe all parameters using Set Key mode:

1. Turn on .
  2. In the viewport, select the objects to which you want to add keyframes.
  3. Click  and then turn on Key All.
  4. Move the time slider to the frame where you wish to set keys
  5. Click  (Set Keys).

3ds Max adds keys to all keyable parameters.

Let me know if this helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 14
Pendali
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Hi Thank you so much! 😄 I'm currently using Max 2018. 

That actually seams to do the trick!

Thanks. So I need to turn ON filters to all keys. Great.  (This feature really needs a better tool tip)

Super! 

Now, is there a way for it to only key the local object axis and not the world space axis as well? (c:

Cheers!

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 14
hagen.deloss

@Pendali

Happy to help! Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean on that one, I know that you can move an object based off its local/grid/world axis direction by changing it on the Reference Coordinate System dropdown from the ribbon, right next to your snap settings. Is that what you are looking for?

Inkedmove_local_LI.jpg

If you use this feature, make sure to set it back to worldspace after you use it, as it could mess you up later 😉

Hagen Deloss

Message 5 of 14
Pendali

Hmm.. not really.

I was wondering, like if I rotate a box 45 degrees. and then move the box in local x axis, the autokeyer will make a key on z and x because the object moved in both directions in world space.

but it would have been nice if I could get a key based only on the object local position x. (like how you animate 3d objects in after effects.) If you move x you should get a key on x not Z.

I was wondering if it could be done by attaching some new coordinate system to the object or some such, but it might just be a pipedream of mine. I could link the object to a parent and animate the rotations on that. (but it would only work on simple things. )

see, I want as few keys as possible when I animate, and then let the curves do the work for me. so if I move an object in one axis I only want a key here. 

Message 6 of 14
hagen.deloss

Hi @Pendali

As far as I know, any 3D program would have to create keys on both axis, since the object is moving on both. I;m not exactly sure how after effects is calculating the movements behind the scenes.

You can always create a dummy object and animate with it, though it would still have keyframes on all its axis's that it's moved on! I think your best bet is to not use Autokey on certain parts of your animations, and instead hand keyframe using the "K" hotkey. Combined with the Setkey Filters feature, I'm hoping that will help you create some awesome stuff!!

If you want to suggest a feature for 3DS Max, you can also submit a suggestion on the Ideas Forum here, if other Max users like your idea, they will vote on it!

Talk to you soon 😄

Hagen Deloss

Message 7 of 14
Pendali

Turns out That I jumped the gun on those filters being the answer.

The Filter feature do help little bit, but I can tell the program to filter keys like position only, and it will create position keys only. So far so god. Great.

This is fine, but I'm still getting 3 keys if I move in Z. And then I have to go back and manually delete key X and Y.

Then I have to go and change my filters again if I want to do a rotation. Or if I want to change any other thing I will have to go and adjust the filters.

You cant actually be expected to animate like that. 😕

The point is that Max Needs the feature where it autokeys ONLY the key I animate, and not the others. This way I can adjust the bezier handles whenever I want to update my animation, without having my curve being blocked by autogenerated keys which I never wanted to create in the first place.

Message 8 of 14
hagen.deloss

Hi @Pendali

I'm so sorry this is causing you trouble! I'm interested in what view you are managing your animations, are you using the curve editor? You can turn on and off each axis to view/edit the keyframes separately so your workspace isn't so cluttered with keyframes.

curve editor.gif

You can also try right clicking the timeslider itself and create a key on a certain axis.

Screenshot (208).png

I hope this information helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 9 of 14
Pendali

Actually in regards to rotation, what I found is that you can create a dummy object somewhere in the scene.

Then take your camera and Link it to the dummy. Then also apply an orientation constraint to the dummy object.

You can now use the dummy for rotations, and you will only get position keys for local axis not world space when you animate.

(you can also turn on slave rotation, it replaces Euler XYZ) on your camera this way its impossible to animate its rotation by accident)

It is extremely useful if you have a camera that is tilted 45 degrees and you want to do a slow in movement.

This way you only need to slow in on one axis. And you avoid the wobbly S curve that typically comes when you try to animate 2 axis curves into one straight line. And unlike simply linking to a parent it will work for longer complex animations as well, because the rotation pivot actually follows the camera. 

Message 10 of 14
hagen.deloss

@Pendali

That's great! I'm happy you found something that works for you 😄

Happy animating!!

Hagen Deloss

Message 11 of 14

3ds Max can set (restrict) single axis rotation keyframes when  animating rotations using the [default] Euler XYZ Rotation Controller and when the Gimbal reference coordinate system is active. The Gimbal coordinate system was made to be used with the Euler XYZ controller.

You can change the controller to another type, like TCB rotation, which does allow for key frames to be set for just the x, Y, or the Z transform, but TCB cannot be manipulated in the Curve Editor.  

Only the Euler XYZ controller has Curve Editor capabilities. Consequently, it is usually the best choice for most circumstances. (Refer to Autodesk site for more info.)

However, when animating [character] limbs be sure to change “Axis Order” to “ZXY”. (To change, go to the Motion Command Panel, and click on the Rotation button in the PRS Parameters Rollout, and then set Axis Order to “ZYX”, under the Euler Parameters rollout.)  (Refer to Lynda.com’s tutorial, “3ds Max 2019 Essential Training”, sub-section titled, “Hierarchies...

Message 12 of 14
Pendali
in reply to: waterman_patricia

Thanks for the detailed reply. This is great. I will have to take an in-depth look at this, and refresh my memory on the subject. 3DsMax Really needs a refactor of it's animation so that is make sense to normal people, and you don't have to fight the software every step of the way.

Message 13 of 14
AutodeskUser1235

sounds like the real question initially was if autokey could only set a key on the axis/es who's values actually changed.

IE - if I translate an object on the Z axis. only the Z controllers value is changing and would indicate that it would need to be autokeyed. yet even if only 1 axis's value is changing, all other axises are being keyed as well. creating unnecessary keys in some instances. 

Message 14 of 14

Indeed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report