Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Every. Single. Version.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
doug_bowker_3D
296 Views, 7 Replies

Every. Single. Version.

Why have a Save button at all?Why have a Save button at all?

Yeah, the Configure Modifier Sets menu, which if you just installed Max 2025, you just spent some time setting up all the button commands you use on a daily basis. Again. Because you also had to set it up for Max 2024.
And 2023.
And 2022.
And... Just fill in the number, because it's all of them.

As a long-time user (I started with Max 2.5) I can certainly appreciate the strides made towards efficiency and customization. I appreciate that, really! Never mind that certain elements and menus occasionally get moved around for no obvious reason, on balance most CUI elements are fairly easy to load up between versions or upgrades. All except for this one.

In fact, I'm sure many have noticed that a bad crash will often knock this particular setting out. Further, when you hit Save you aren't actually given a location to save (or backup) to. I assume it gets appended to an INI file? Whatever the case, this is the type of thing that should just be rolled right over. No loading up CUI files and Keyboard files each and every time one at a time.

I have half a dozen Adobe apps with menu systems easily on par in terms of complexity as Max (After Effects for example) and anytime you install a major update it asks:
Would you like to carry all your settings over from...? "Why yes, we certain would like that, thanks for asking!" And let's consider that any updates for Adobe have to consider both the windows and Mac OS. Somehow, they manage to make it easy and painless. Goals for Autodesk... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doug Bowker
www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com
Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RobH2
in reply to: doug_bowker_3D

I hear you, it could be easier but it's not too difficult if you do it a certain way. You can just copy the '[ModifierSets]' section from the previous Max version and paste it to the bottom of the .ini file of the new version. Works pretty well. 

I have posted what I do here and it only takes about 30-minutes to get up and running again with customizations from the previous version. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/migrating-from-2021-to-2022/m-p/10212988

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 8
Diffus3d

Even Maya does it.  

Message 4 of 8
RobH2

Yea, I know. It's frustrating. Instead of dwelling on what I can't change I like to just move on...  Maybe one day we'll have a migration tool. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 5 of 8
thor98_

Thanks for sharing your tips + the post on migrating between versions Rob, that'll come in handy ๐Ÿ™‚

Yep, this feature would be very welcoming. Good to know Maya has it already! Hopefully this will work out for Max at some point

Thor Nielsen

3D Generalist

EESignature

Message 6 of 8

Thanks! That's indeed handy to know about. Not automatic, but certainly better than manually running through the whole list of modifiers to add them to the button set.

BTW: Is this the .INI in the Users/App Data folder or the .INI under the Program Files/Autodesk/3DS Max folder?

Doug Bowker
www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com
Message 7 of 8
RobH2

It's in the ENU folder. Mine is:

"C:\Users\'yourUsernameHere'\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2025 - 64bit\ENU\3dsMax.ini"

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
jibijib

I keep all config file I use on google drive in the same folder - when I upgrade to another version, I just do the same thing. I made a batch file that copies [Modifier Sets] from old file to the new one. I do the same for Photoshop, etc.

It's one reason I put off upgrading, although I've stream lined it a little bit now - would like to see just a simple single process to save all config into one file.

Beware copying old 3dsmax.ini directly over your new one - they are incompatible between versions.

jibijib_1-1713618445719.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report