Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Defaults Switcher doesn't work

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
TomChad
1086 Views, 11 Replies

Custom Defaults Switcher doesn't work

Hi,

I just installed 3ds Max 2022 (v24.0.0.923) and as I don't like the Dark theme I want to switch to the Light one.

So I open  Customize > Custom Defaults Switcher > and I choose ame-light instead of DefaultUI.

I click on Set, I see the UI is replaced by the ligth one which is good, then I'm prompted to restart 3ds Max for changes to take effect.

But when I restart 3ds Max changes have not been taken into account and the UI is still setup as DefaultUI instead of ame-light ☹️ 3ds Max UI is still Dark theme.
I've also tried by running 3ds Max as administrator: it doesn't work either.

Can you please help me?

Thank you,

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
TomChad
in reply to: TomChad

Hi,

Is there anybody to answer me please ?

Thank you,

Message 3 of 12
DanielCantin

Hi @TomChad , 

I suspect you have V-Ray installed. We fixed an issue in the 3ds Max 2022.1 version for Max failing to save preferences because of a silent crash happening when closing Max. 

You can find more details in this forum thread: 3ds max 2022 fail to save settings. In the last post you can find a script that should fix the issue for 2022.0 (to place in Script/Startup folder). A workaround could also be to: 1. Uninstalling V-Ray, 2. start 3ds Max, 3. change preferences, 4. close Max (save preferences) and 5. re-installing V-Ray.

Thanks for reaching out with your issue, please let us know if that fix or not the issue. 

Daniel Cantin
QA, 3ds Max
Entertainment Creation Products, DCP
Message 4 of 12
TomChad
in reply to: DanielCantin

Thank you for your answer Daniel, always nice to have somebody to talk to!

No I don't use VRay, I use latest Corona (7 Hotfix 1)on latest 3ds Max 2022.3 (24.3.0.3404).

I read the thread, I put the script in the startup folder, I ran 3ds Max as administrator and I also completely disabled my security software (ESET Nod32 and Malwarebytes). Still the same: 3ds Max is unable to switch to ame-light UI unfortunately.

What do you suggest?

Message 5 of 12
TomChad

One thing maybe worth mentionning is a small Maxscript Debugger pop-up window briefly appears when 3ds Max is starting. Not sure if it's normal or not. This window almost instantly disappears.

Message 6 of 12
TomChad

Hi Daniel,

What do you suggest? I need my 3ds Max to be up and running asap.

Thank you for your support Daniel,

Thomas

Message 7 of 12
TomChad

Daniel?

Are you here?

Message 8 of 12
CiroCardoso3v

I had a similar issue where the culprit was Corona that was crashing 3ds Max. Solution? If you are going to wait for the Corona guys to fix this good luck. I temporarily uninstalled Corona, did the changes and install it back. 

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
TomChad

Thanks @CiroCardoso3v 

It's fixed: yes Corona was the culprit indeed. I uninstalled it, did the changes (switched the UI to ame-light theme), reinstalled Corona and now the changes in the UI preferences are taken into account.
what I was fearing actually is once I reinstall Corona the bug comes back again. But that's ok: now whatever changes I make to the UI (so far ... fingers crossed), it's taken into account even after I restart 3ds Max.

Thanks again.

Message 10 of 12
DanielCantin

Thanks @CiroCardoso3v for sharing the culprit and the workaround.

I was wondering, is the issue affecting all saving of preferences or limited to the custom default switcher? 

Daniel Cantin
QA, 3ds Max
Entertainment Creation Products, DCP
Message 11 of 12

It also affects the Workspaces. Is practically impossible to switch between workspaces without 3ds Max crashing and is all due to Corona. The sad part is that you don't know when they and if they will fix these issues.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
TomChad

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately I can't answer your question as it's fixed now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report