Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change object order in dope sheet?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
adamjphillips1999
1184 Views, 6 Replies

Change object order in dope sheet?

Hello,

I need to edit the order that objects/meshes on my model will render in by(I think) editing the dope sheet.

I need to sort the objects/meshes numerically so it starts at 0, then 1, then 2, ect...

How could I go about doing this?

Screenshot (28).png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
vusta
in reply to: adamjphillips1999

where did you get the idea that you could tell the renderer to render numerous objects in a particular order ?

Message 3 of 7
adamjphillips1999
in reply to: vusta

The idea came from a super smash brothers 3ds model hacking guide. I don't know if you can change the order but I know the render order matters because of the way the game works. For example if I look at that dope sheet picture, mesh 5 is number 2 on the list but should be 5. But because mesh 5 is taking the place of mesh 2, the game assigns the material and texture for mesh 2 onto mesh 5 resulting in messed up textures. Mesh 0 is in the correct place so it will have the correct textures in game. This goes for every mesh on the list... 

The other thing that could happen with incorrect object order is an object only being rendered when a specific animation is playing. For example:

On the list mesh 4 (The head) is taking the place of mesh 12 (an eyebrow expression) so in the game the mesh is read as an eyebrow expression, not a head mesh. The way that super smash bros 3ds handles expressions is that it will load/unload meshes as needed depending on which animation is being played.

So if the head we're assigned to the mesh made for blinking it would only show up when the blinking animation is played. This also goes for all objects.

So I'm asking if there's a way to edit the object order so the rendering and textures of the objects will be correct in game.

Message 4 of 7
vusta
in reply to: adamjphillips1999

so why don't you sort out your character hierachy in Scene Explorer rather than looking at the dopesheet ?

it's like if you drag out a biped...in Scene Explorer, you can see Bip001 is the root, then comes Pelvis, then comes Spine...it's nothing to do with the dopesheet

Message 5 of 7
adamjphillips1999
in reply to: vusta

Because it's already sorted from 0 onwards and it doesn't work

Message 6 of 7

Hello @adamjphillips1999 and welcome to the community,

Ah, this takes me way back.  It's been over a decade since I even thought about this particular issue.  There used to be a script that would allow for this way, way back but it's not working anymore I don't think.  (Reorder Track View)

There's 2 main ways you can pull this off. 

1) When you link an object to another object, then unlink it... it goes to the bottom of the list.  This is an easy way to do it.  

2) Delete the new objects from the file and save it as a new copy.  Then, merge those objects back into the new file from the old file.  They'll be at the bottom of the list.  

Can either of those work for you @adamjphillips1999?  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 7

Hello @adamjphillips1999,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report