Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Delete Old "Send to Substance" Plug-In

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
night_daimon
1702 Views, 10 Replies

Cannot Delete Old "Send to Substance" Plug-In

Perennial nube question: I'm trying to install a new "Send to Substance" plug-in for Substance Painter 2018 2.3, since the older plug-in version for 2.6 doesn't allow me to export any files. Though I managed to delete a substance_plugin-max-1.0.0(1) from the 3rd Party Plug-Ins via the Configure System Paths, the plug-in still appears when I select it in the "Search for Actions" box.  Any advice, suggestions are welcome.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
hagen.deloss
in reply to: night_daimon

Hi @night_daimon

Great to hear from you on the forums! I have 2 suggestions. 

You can try resetting your User Preferences back to default ( it holds on to some plugin data), and see if that works, here are steps on how to do so.

Here is some further information on certain file structures that could be holding onto this data...

Let me know if this helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 11
night_daimon
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Okay, I did the reset as you suggested, but the problem still persist.  I've attached an image that includes the MaxScript log which may help us pinpoint the problem. I don't even know where that script may be since I "removed" it from the 3rd Party Plug-Ins.

Message 4 of 11
hagen.deloss

@night_daimon

Thanks for the additional information, I still want to clear a few things up.

You are trying to uninstall a previous version of Substance Painter, before installing a new one, correct? Have you tried uninstalling Substance Painter with the Microsoft Fixit Tool? Sometimes plugins leave residual information buried within file structures, here is an article on the tool.

Usually plugins are installed in the 3DS Max root folderin the plugins subfolder, or you redirect Max to the folder you want, but it's not in either of those locations right?

We could see if renaming your plugins folder, or the root folder you path to for plugins helps, here is an article documenting steps on how to do so. 

If the above information doesn't resolve the issue, I would also encourage you to take a look at the Allegorithmic forums to see if someone else has experienced this same issue, I found something similar to your issue here.  And of course let me know if you are still having the same issue and I can continue looking into this issue and help resolve it. 

Talk to you soon!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 5 of 11
hagen.deloss

Hi @night_daimon

Any thoughts regarding my previous post?

Hagen Deloss

Message 6 of 11
night_daimon

My apologies for not responding in a timely manner.  I did try all your suggestions, but apparently they did not work.  I've searched far and wide to find the miscreant file, but alas it still somehow manages to appear.  Attached are some additional screen captures that may provide an additional clue, but at this point I'm wondering if I should just do a reinstall of my 3ds Max app.

Message 7 of 11
night_daimon

I'm attaching two additional captures.  One is of the notes for installing the original plug-in.

Message 8 of 11
hagen.deloss

Hi @night_daimon

I was able to look up your CER report through the email address you provided, but the error attached is common enough to not really help pinpoint any singular issue. 

Have you tried deleting the whole send to substance folder within your scripts folder? 

At this point yeah, I would say reinstalling 3DS Max is a good option. It's odd that renaming the ENU folder to ENU_old didn't work! That usually holds a lot of the plugin data. It may be something within the Startup files that we aren't aware of, and I would be wary to change anything in those folders.

I hope a reinstall clears this issue up, here is an article walking through the steps to perform a Clean Uninstall of 3DS Max before re-installing. I would highly recommend following those steps 😄

Talk soon,

Hagen Deloss

Message 9 of 11
hagen.deloss

@night_daimon

I wanted to check in again, did you re-install 3DS Max? I would like to confirm that taking these listed actions proved unsuccessful.

I would further suggest seeing if disabling any software that is included on this list and seeing if the issue remains.

Hagen Deloss

Message 10 of 11
night_daimon

Again, my apologies for the delayed response, however it is due to a personal crisis.  I made a second attempt following your suggestions and the problem still persists.  Thus the only resolution is to do the reinstall per the link you provided.  I really do appreciate the extra time and thoroughness of your replies.  

Message 11 of 11
hagen.deloss

@night_daimon

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate your persistence in trying to hunt down this errant plugin file, I would've given up 2 weeks ago if this was happening on my machine 🙂

I hope everything works out, best wishes to you during the holiday season as well.

Hagen Deloss

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report