Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use Ambiant Occlusion in Render to texture max 2018 Help

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
justinmanas
3914 Views, 7 Replies

Can't use Ambiant Occlusion in Render to texture max 2018 Help

When using render to texture I switch to Mental ray and then I get the ambient occlusion setting, but in max 2018 the render button is just greyed out no matter what render-er I set it to. I need to bake ambient occlusion and I can't find anyway to do it. Any help would be great thanks?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Facing the same problem now. Would love a solution when one arises.

Message 3 of 8
hagen.deloss
in reply to: justinmanas

Hello @justinmanas

Are you looking to render an AO map using Arnold or Mental Ray? are you looking to include bounce lighting in your AO map? I found this tutorial on how to set up Arnold AO material in 3DS Max that hopefully is helpful!

If you could post a screenshot of your render setup, with your Arnold AO material settings, I can help you troubleshoot further.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 4 of 8

So if I understand correctly, I have to switch to a Arnold based pipeline to be able to bake a itching that is Ray traced and/or has GI? No other solution for now?
Message 5 of 8

Hello @alexei.dmitriev.k and @justinmanas

We support Mental Ray 2015/2016 since Arnold was brought on in 2017, and unfortunately Arnold wasn't designed to render materials to a texture map. I do see that in our documentation that rendering AO maps to textures should be available in Mental Ray. Furthermore, I can see what you are running into with the render button being unavailable. Screenshot (1).png

I will look into getting a copy of Mental Ray and testing it out further, but in the meantime I would check out the Nvidia rendering forums.

If you export your object(s) into a new scene and recreate the AO map you want to render to texture, you can retain your original scene while still getting a high res AO map rendered to a texture using the scanline renderer. You can then map that AO pass into your original Mental Ray scene!

Thanks for working with me on this, looking forward to hearing about the results of your project!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 6 of 8
Smallpoly
in reply to: hagen.deloss

As of August 10th 2018 Arnold has Render to Texture support via version 2.1.945:

https://support.solidangle.com/display/A5AF3DSUG/2.1.945

To update, grab the new version from their download page:

https://www.solidangle.com/arnold/download/#3dsmax

Message 7 of 8
hagen.deloss
in reply to: Smallpoly

@Smallpoly

Awesome, I saw that! Have you gotten a chance to play around with rendering out an AO pass with the tools?

That would indeed be the exact solution to this issue 😉

Hagen Deloss

Message 8 of 8
Smallpoly
in reply to: hagen.deloss

I've been looking into it a little bit today - they haven't ironed all the bugs out yet. The bake is getting affected by the lighting instead of just rendering out the raw render element. Having a flat white ambient light that's able to affect the rendered scene should allow it to bake out clean maps, though I'm still in the process of testing out the ideal setup for that.

Adding the Mental Ray AO element will produce an evenly lit AO map, but that's not ideal yet either. It seems to be ignoring the range parameter right now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report