Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I make a game with the student version of 3DS Max?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cj320231
1609 Views, 3 Replies

Can I make a game with the student version of 3DS Max?

I have a great idea for a game, but I only have the student version of 3DS Max. I also want to show my game to the world (NOT DISTRIBUTE IT) and see If I can raise money through Patreon or something like that to make a full blown game and make my money off of that. I would even buy 3DS Max immediately after making the money to buy it just so I can get working on the real game ASAP. Would I be able to do this? I know I can make $100K before having to purchase a license for Unity, but what about you, Autodesk? Do you allow this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
lynn_zhang
in reply to: cj320231

Hi @cj320231

According to Educational License Guideline:

Software and cloud-based services provided without charge to Education Community members may be used solely for purposes directly related to learning, teaching, training, research or development and  shall not be used for commercial, professional or any other for-profit purposes.​

So unfortunately you cannot use the student license to create a game that leads to profit-generating activities. You will need to use a commercial license for that.

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Message 3 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: cj320231

In addition to the "no" answer, if you do buy a commercial license, you also cannot use any of the work done in the educational software. You will also have to redo all of that work in the commercial version as well. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 4
NilsWille
in reply to: TravisNave

@TravisNave wrote:

In addition to the "no" answer, if you do buy a commercial license, you also cannot use any of the work done in the educational software. You will also have to redo all of that work in the commercial version as well. 

On the same note, I remember opening a max file from somebody else, and was greeted with a warning that the file was made in a Student Version and that the content thus should not be used in a commercial context (or something along those lines). Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report