Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Hardware for running 3DS Max 2021

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
zancois
565 Views, 4 Replies

Best Hardware for running 3DS Max 2021

I'm running max 2021, my scene file has about 20 million polys and runs slow as mud when trying to scrub through the timeline keys.

How can I speed up performance?

Current Computer Specs:

AMD 3990x 64 Core Processor

128GB Ram

1TG M.2 Samsung EVO Pro

GTX 1070

1200w Power Supply

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BenBisares
in reply to: zancois

As a test can you try disabling SMT (Simultaneous Multithreading). Usually done from the BIOS. After that see if you are getting better performance.

Ben Bisares
Message 3 of 5
zancois
in reply to: BenBisares

Nope, no luck. Thanks for the suggestion. I know it's possible for Max to run smoothly with millions of polys. I've seen Boxx Technology computers handle max like a dream. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's my video card, if so what's the best video card for working in max not just rendering. 

Message 4 of 5
BenBisares
in reply to: zancois

The 1070 is still a pretty decent card. I would like you to try one more test.

With 3ds Max running, open up the task manager and go to "Details" (assuming Windows 10), then right-click on the "3dsmax.exe" process and choose "Set affinity"

3dsMaxAffinity.png

Try limiting 3ds Max to something like 8 CPUs and test again.

Ben Bisares
Message 5 of 5
zancois
in reply to: BenBisares

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I followed your instructions and tried to set the affinity, however, the computer rejects my attempts. 

zancois_1-1595306426983.png

I am the owner of the computer. Not sure why I'm being rejected from setting it or clicking any of the right-click options. I only have 1 account I should be the admin.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report