Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animated FOV Bug

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Ihno
1615 Views, 10 Replies

Animated FOV Bug

Hi,

i have a scene with animated fov on a Physical Camera .

but the fov is ignored if i render the scene via Net Render.

It is set to 35 all the time witch is my starting fov.

If i render just on my workstaion without Backburner everything works fine.

I have a Workaround allready, using focal length istead of fov seams to work.

2 Day of Rendertime lost, iam not very happy Smiley Mad

Iam Rendering with V-ray 3.20.02
And 3ds Max 2016 Sp1+Extension
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dxfuzion
in reply to: Ihno

I can confirm this bug, lost some render time myself, very frustrating issue.
Message 3 of 11
zoubein
in reply to: dxfuzion

any solution for this? I am also having the same issue two days lost as well.
Message 4 of 11
freedom1k

I'm having the same issue with animated FOV in a Physical Camera (3ds Max 2016). If set to Render out to a Sequence the FOV does not Match the Viewport Camera. But if I render out a Single Frame at a time, the output matches. The FOV value appears to be ignored when Network Rendering over time. Please Fix Bug.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 11
freedom1k
in reply to: freedom1k

We've found it is better to animate the camera Zoom Factor instead of FOV or Focal length.
Message 6 of 11
Ihno
in reply to: freedom1k

After experiencing this and other strage things I just use it for stills.
I moved back to the v-ray camera for Animations.
And I'd highly recomment to anyone to not use the Max PhysCam for Animation.
If you don't have Vray, use the standart camera instead. Its way better for your blood pressure. Smiley Wink
But anyway, here are some tips if you still want to use the PhysCam for animation.
Don't use the shift and tilt options especially not the "Auto Vertical Tilt Correction"!
Turn lens breathing to 0!
And bake the animation to one key per frame!

Message 7 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Ihno@freedom1k@zoubein@dxfuzion,

I have updated all the bug tracker cases about the physical camera with a link to this thread.  It may be a good idea to use the legacy camera or avoid lens shift/Zdepth and animating FOV with the physical camera for the time being until these issues are resolved.

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 11
js
Contributor
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

hi,

I need this bug fixed for max 2016 before I buy any upgrades to your software or give you any more business.

Message 9 of 11
js
Contributor
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Alfred,

I just sent you a PM asking if there is any chance Autodesk can get this fixed for 3ds max 2016?

Message 10 of 11
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello all,

I recently bumped the case in the tracker and made a test file.  I have tested this file with animated FOV over BB in Max 2016 and 2018 and it's working on my end.  This thread was before my time but once I test it myself I cannot repro.  Maybe I did something differently/incorrectly to bring this to the surface?  

I tested with both FOV and focal length.  If you have a scene (stripped of important content and replaced with a teapot or something) with this issue, please attach it or PM me a link.  There must be another variable that is not mentioned in this thread that causes this.  (I attached my demo/repro scene as proof.)  Thanks for any information you can give me so I can update the case with information that allows a repro.

Best Regards, 

Message 11 of 11

Hello all,

I just wanted to follow up and see if anyone had a scene they could share with the problem.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report