Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 instances of "acwebbrowser.exe" process when running Max 2018. What is this?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
office
1888 Views, 5 Replies

5 instances of "acwebbrowser.exe" process when running Max 2018. What is this?

When I run 3ds Max 2018, I get 5 instances of this process in Task Manager: acwebbrowser.exe

It eats up about 100 mb of RAM on my PC. Not a lot but why? What is this thing and why does it run when I start Max? Why 5 instances of it?

I found that this exe file resides in C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Autodesk Desktop App\AcWebBrowser

Please check the screenshot below.

3ds Max subscription customer since 2010
| Max 2022.1 | AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-core | 64GB RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB | NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro | Win10 Pro x64 | Nvidia Driver 466.47
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: office

That's how Autodesk products run several "out of process" tasks alongside the main program, taking advantage of multiple cores/threads and not having the main program get stalled/held up if they take a little longer than normal.  While they are all listed as the same EXE name, they are in fact performing different tasks; typical examples are license management and help system.  Others tasks are dependent on the program being run, but they should be there and are doing required things, so I don't recommend forcing them to stop or otherwise interfering with them.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 6

Message 4 of 6
office
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks for the info, guys! Smiley Happy

3ds Max subscription customer since 2010
| Max 2022.1 | AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-core | 64GB RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB | NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro | Win10 Pro x64 | Nvidia Driver 466.47
Message 5 of 6
Alfred.DeFlaminis

I just wanted to pop in and mention I marked @dgorsman's post because it is spot on.  

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 6
teepee11

What is AcWebBrowser.exe and why does it run all the time?

1. Attachment is the recommended resolution to your case:
  The AcWebBrowser.exe" is an application that gets launched with running an Autodesk program,
  that allows these programs to browse out to the web for common data.
  Some common functions that utilize this application are the "Geolocation" tools, "Help" dialogs etc.
  If it do cause software performance, you could disable it manually.
  Thanks for contacting with Autodesk Technical Support.

I wasnt satisfied with this answer , second reply from Autodesk;

Answer;

2. Thank you for choosing Autodesk Support. Here is the recommended resolution to your case:

From technical document, ACWebBrowser.exe is the core app about Autodesk Desktop App.
So any functions using Autodesk Desktop will use ACWebBrowser.exe. 
Autodesk Desktop App is the platform for Autodesk Customer contact Autodesk via network.
You could download software, update, submit case to Autodesk and so on.
These function you could access website (e.g. manage.autodesk.com  or knowledge.autodesk.com) directly.
Please see
Autodesk Desktop App: Exploring the Features and Benefits of AutoCAD about more information.

In this situation, you could uninstall Autodesk Desktop App from your computer,
there ACWebBrowser.exe will not affect performance of software.  This will not affect Autodesk Product using. 
Go to Windows Control Panel to uninstall Autodesk Desktop App.
Thanks for contacting with Autodesk Technical Support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report