Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsmax 2023 - Material editor lagging, slow responses

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
krawczakjakub1
1467 Views, 5 Replies

3dsmax 2023 - Material editor lagging, slow responses

Hi,
I've recently migrated to 3dsmax 2023 and whenever I want to change some material parameters the material editor gets really laggy. I have to wait a few seconds even to just change the material roughness, plug a new map etc. I literally cant do anything with materials wihout a slight lagging. The autopreview also slowed down. It doesnt matter whether I use slate material editor or the compact one. Still lagging, I cant precisely use slider to change amout of reflection, translucency etc. 
Whenever I change any parameter there's an info on the bottom of my screen saying that the material is rendering and it takes a while. I attaches screenshot. Even with empty, new scene. Even with plain material with no maps at all. Physical material, corona material, vray mtl - nothing changes, still lags. Restoring factory setting did not help

Any ideas? 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BenBisares
in reply to: krawczakjakub1

I see in your screenshots that it's trying to render a Corona material. Perhaps the current Material Editor renderer does not like rendering them. I try changing the Material Editor renderer to something else and test.

MaxMaterialRenderer.png

Ben Bisares
Message 3 of 6
krawczakjakub1
in reply to: BenBisares

I am indeed using corona and corona materials. Unfortunalety changing both assigned renderer and material editor didint help 😞 Any other ideas?

Message 4 of 6

I have that same problem. The computer freezes completely for a few seconds. I use physical material. When I use any map, it is not possible to adjust its settings.

Message 5 of 6
tim.laird
in reply to: krawczakjakub1

We have it here, and it's been like it since Arnold got dumped into 3ds. The only speedy materials are the Standard shaders and with scanline turned on.

Mental Ray was a little slower than Scanline, but Arnold REALLY knocks it out of the park in terms of minimising usability. I presume it's the same with other 3rd party renderers too, so Corona etc.

One way to side-step the laggy material editor is to use the Activeshade window with Arnold, this stops the material editor swatches from rendering at all... but it means you have to suffer the lag of the Activeshade Arnold window instead 🙂

Turning off auto-update on the slots also sort of works, but when you create a new Multi-material, it will spend a good 3 minutes updating every swatch for the 10 materials, before giving you a chance to even interact with the editor.

Weird how Autodesk didn't mention this 50% less productivity in their release material 

Message 6 of 6

I'm having the same problem with Vray in 2023...   The material editor can hang for 10 minutes or more processing the "RenderQueue" (lower left corner of ME dialog).  It is rendering things that I'm not even using in my scene, like Ink and Paint, Morpher and Matte Shadow materials.   There doesn't seem to be a way to escape out of it except doom scrolling national news... 😉    I will test turning on the manual update option in ME next, but this seems like a real bug.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report