Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsmax 2018 - Excuse Me, i seem to be looking at 2017

176 REPLIES 176
Message 1 of 177
jacob
13423 Views, 176 Replies

3dsmax 2018 - Excuse Me, i seem to be looking at 2017

Dear Autodesk.

Thank you for my update email. I have downloaded and installed my 3dsmax update. I do however seem to be looking at 3dsmax 2017 with arnold included. Is this correct?

You need to get your new feature list online pretty darn quick because i cant see anything other than Arnold in my maintenance subscription update i just installed.

I think you may get just a smidge of backlash about this update if that's all it is, given ourselves and i think many others have moved onto Vray or Corona or FStorm or many other 3rd party renderers.

Screenshot 2017-04-12 13.38.05.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.42.25.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.38.11.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.38.08.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.34.12.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.37.53.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.36.11.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.35.55.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.34.34.png

176 REPLIES 176
Message 61 of 177
info
in reply to: vusta

it crashed like crazy both on 7 and 10, i even installed 2017 on different machines but all what i could do was just to notice the exact same behavior: crashes on i7 2600k and gtx 580, crashes on i7 7700k and gtx 980ti, i even tried to change the vga and got lent a quadro m2000 since i was told on the area that it was due to nvidia drivers (before i was told it was due to 10 till i installed it on 7) but it just keeps crashing...i got fed up by all these things and use 2014 on the same puters where 2017 was crashing like crazy and dont even remember when it crashed the last time

Message 62 of 177
Ehsan.Sarahian
in reply to: jacob

English online help was corrected:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2018/ENU/

Message 63 of 177
vusta
in reply to: info

for me, win 7, a very ancient gtx 660 and honestly not very up to date nvidia driver...and 2017 crashes are rarer than hen's teeth....

Message 64 of 177

The help file still 404s to the subtopics.

Message 65 of 177
Superla-Envoke
in reply to: vusta

IS THIS FOR REAL, NOT SOME KIND OF LATE APRIL FOOLS JOKE?

We pay £100s every year, and this is the best Autodesk can come up with?!!!

The new features are a joke. The only new feature to note is the Arnold renderer, which I guess the majority of users will NEVER touch.

I'm VERY annoyed and frustrated.

Is there a governing body that regulates this industry?

I feel very trapped, and Autodesk know this. They shouldn't be charging so much for such minor updates. If this were Chaos group, many of these features would have been included free of charge, until a new update (which would actually bring new things to the table!).

If there was a viable alternative to Max / Autodesk, I would be gone.

Dean

Message 66 of 177
s1dK

Message 67 of 177
-niels-
in reply to: stephen.d.green

@stephen.d.green wrote:

Yup, seeing that too...

This is already a lively discussion, but i'm going to add a little fuel to the fire.

I really hope this is just an oversight from the people who wrote the help:

2017-04-12_1426.png

Or is it me being dense... i thought this was changed and Nvidia requires additional licensing/fees for this now?

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 68 of 177
caypiranha
in reply to: Superla-Envoke

Maybe in EU Autodeks  might not be alowed to buy Maya, Softimage and 3DMax, because of monopoly - yes, this is a probrem, they do what THEY want.

I am thinking of trying using MODO probably. It´s young softwarecore and a good distance to AD should make this as an Alternative.

If there are alternatives to 3dmax, we´ll have to learn another Software anyways. cool Modeller, with lot´s of features still/already inside!

Message 69 of 177
gothmoth
in reply to: caypiranha

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe in EU Autodeks  might not be alowed to buy Maya, Softimage and 3DMax, because of monopoly - yes, this is a probrem, they do what THEY want.

what???

Message 70 of 177
lorddavius

@info Call me skeptical, but I can't see how you could possibly made all those installs, and changing of hardware in a matter of few hours. I (and some nice fellows here) know very well where most of the bugs of 2018 are, but the instability you are reporting certainly does not fall in line with what's been reported.

My advice? Fill up the correct CER, share them here or the steps to reproduce them.

Message 71 of 177
gothmoth
in reply to: -niels-

you hope there are additional fees?

or did you mean to write.. "i hope this isn´t just an oversight...."

@-niels- wrote:

@stephen.d.green wrote:

Yup, seeing that too...

This is already a lively discussion, but i'm going to add a little fuel to the fire.

I really hope this is just an oversight from the people who wrote the help:

2017-04-12_1426.png

Or is it me being dense... i thought this was changed and Nvidia requires additional licensing/fees for this now?

Message 72 of 177
stephen.d.green
in reply to: -niels-

I'm guessing it's just not been updated from the 2017 help. (Add your own joke about 2018 Max here)

Last time I looked nvidia were only selling the Maya version, I couldn't see a separate Max one to download, it's still 'coming soon' on the main menu.

On the Maya page it says you can download it for free for rendering stills, but if you want sequence or network rendering you have to pay.

Message 73 of 177
StrobFX
in reply to: stephen.d.green

Autodesk think they have the monopoly now that they bought Maya, Max and killed Softimage. I think they don't even know about Houdini and Blender and a few others. So that's why they adopted that rental only business model thinking they will not have to  update anything now that their customers must pay to use their software even though they don't add anything to it.

For the lucky ones who could get a perpetual license, you are good to go for life with the version you have.

For those who want new features to satisfy the need of always more and more demanding customers, start learning Houdini, Blender, Zbrush and seriously developed softwares.

StrobFX
Message 74 of 177
StrobFX
in reply to: StrobFX

Sorry but I have to share this:

Houdini 16 feature list: https://www.sidefx.com/games/whats-new/

3ds Max 2018 feature list: http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2018/ENU/index.html?guid=GUID-F687E23D-6FBA-4C8A-9202-C30F2860E...

StrobFX
Message 75 of 177
info
in reply to: lorddavius

@lorddaviusi was talking about 2017...i didnt even bother to download 2018 cause i'm wating to see other users experience before wasting other time updating all the machines

it took all the xmas holydays to update all the computers cause i bought a new workstation and couldnt buy any windows 7 license and had to install 10, so i had to install max 2017 with all the updates cause it's the only certified for 10

when i started to "play" with the new workstation (i7 7700k - gtx 980ti) i noticed at once that 2017 was very unstable, at first i thought it was due to 10 so i tried to work on the old workstation (i7 2600k - gtx580 wich should have been downgraded to render node) and it kept crashing on this too, after asking for some infos on the area i asked a friend of mine who sells hardware if he could be so kind to let me try a quadro m2000 just to be sure the behavior wasnt related to the gtx drivers but it kept crashing the same

Message 76 of 177
lorddavius

@info I see! I really misunderstood you. Sorry.

Message 77 of 177

Nvidia say they'll make the Max version of Metal Ray available to purchase once they've had a chance to test it on the public release of Max 2018.

Message 78 of 177
Isaac_Zuniga

I'm glad you guys are able to download 3ds Max 2018...

I'm still unable to find a download link to it anywhere...

(Yes, I've checked in my account, I've checked other places, and it's still 3ds Max 2017...)

I wonder if they've going to port it over to the educational side now... (Or will I have to wait a week until that's done?) It's interesting how they don't have it ready for everyone at once, but then again, maybe I shouldn't expect that; probably takes too long to have everyone's copy ready all at once.

Need help? Need to contact Autodesk? Click on the link below!

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/contact-support/technical-support
Message 79 of 177
AbouMay

post removed

Message 80 of 177

.....there is pretty sure only chaos in this company... very bad management in these departments

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report