Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsmax 2018 - Excuse Me, i seem to be looking at 2017

176 REPLIES 176
Message 1 of 177
jacob
13675 Views, 176 Replies

3dsmax 2018 - Excuse Me, i seem to be looking at 2017

Dear Autodesk.

Thank you for my update email. I have downloaded and installed my 3dsmax update. I do however seem to be looking at 3dsmax 2017 with arnold included. Is this correct?

You need to get your new feature list online pretty darn quick because i cant see anything other than Arnold in my maintenance subscription update i just installed.

I think you may get just a smidge of backlash about this update if that's all it is, given ourselves and i think many others have moved onto Vray or Corona or FStorm or many other 3rd party renderers.

Screenshot 2017-04-12 13.38.05.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.42.25.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.38.11.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.38.08.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.34.12.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.37.53.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.36.11.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.35.55.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.34.34.png

176 REPLIES 176
Message 21 of 177
jcdeblok
in reply to: MarkAldred

You can now edit motion paths in the viewport as you do splines, with Bezier handles etc.

@Anonymous wrote:

What's new about motion paths? Have they just dolled it up and stuck a button somewhere?

Message 22 of 177
MarkAldred
in reply to: jcdeblok

Ah ok.

So the new feature is really just "addition of bezier control to motion paths".

Message 23 of 177
SuperRune
in reply to: jacob

Switching to the Arnold renderer and creating a light will force the Command Panel into a larger minimum width. Re-assigning the Scanline renderer will not free up the width, you have to restart 3ds Max to get a slimmer Command Panel again. That could be annoying for some!

Message 24 of 177
Emperor_TOe
in reply to: SuperRune

opening and closing the mini-curve editor also gives you a really fat timeline. thats a nice feature

Message 25 of 177
stephen.d.green
in reply to: jcdeblok

Please tell me it doesn't need a plugin recompile?

If it does, I don't see anything in there that makes it worth the hassle.

I have VRay and RS for my render needs.
I don't use MCG.
I really don't care about the changes to the UI.

There's precious little in there that's been revealed so far to make it worth an install for me, that was a waste of £700 this year.

Message 26 of 177
sales

Seems to me that Mr. Eddie Perlberg lost control of what he and is staff are doing.

Can't he see that this new release isactually not a new release ?

Autodesk is a big company that is traded in the stock exchange but can't any of its share holders see that ADESK is selling empty products ?

This is a big shame that instead of writing "Arnold Renderer included" in the features list  - they specify each mini-feature of Arnold as if it were a new feature.

Since I am not and will not use Arnold (ONLY VRAY !)

This is a  non-release for me.

Aren't they ashamed to charge 500 US$ for their horrible releases ?

Since ADOBE changed to a rental mode only - They put a huge effort in improving thier products and also make tons tons tons of educational material so that you can benefit from these new releases.

ADESK has yet to go a long way until it deserves the title "Big Software Company"

They should get a new name:

"AutoGreed"

Message 27 of 177
stephen.d.green
in reply to: sales

I believe Eddie doesn't work at AD any more.

They're advertising for a new PM.

Autodesk laid off the entire Shanghai team who were responsible for Nitrous and other features after 2017 was released - I don't blame the PM or the dev team - they can only work with the budget they're given.

I'd like some transparency about how the money is spent, there seems to be a common opinion that a disproportionate amount is spent on Maya, it certainly seems to get preference.

To put this release out within a month of removing free network rendering and telling maintenance subscribers it's going to be 38% more expensive in 2018 is tragic.

Message 28 of 177

Does it crash all the time like 2017 or is it possible to actually use it?

Holding off before I download and install this. 

Message 29 of 177
zzubnik

Um, Autodesk, April 1st was a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously though, this is awful. Paying 38% more for less product is not winning you favour in the Max community.

Message 30 of 177
mvshabeer
in reply to: zzubnik

Already got crashing.

There are bugs allover the UI

Try Expanding the Ribbon and closing it.
Open the mini curve editor and close it..

Material Editor Stuck with Arnold

Message 31 of 177
bertrandbenoit
in reply to: mvshabeer

Thanks for this. I'll skip it for now. The good thing about this is that it makes one feel pretty good about dropping maintenance and not getting on board with subscription.

Message 32 of 177
dianeroy
in reply to: mvshabeer

None of what you've stated cause crashes or freezes for me.

Message 33 of 177
caypiranha

Well.  ... http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2018/ENU/ --->  "ERROR 404" 

estimated 50-80 % of the Users out there are not "allowed" to see what´s up!?

Only a prankster who thinks arges.... don´t like ****stormes AD, isn´t?   😉

Maya got: fluids, watersimulation, procedural animation tools, mudboxlike modelling tools, xGen ( like Multiscatter) inside etc etc.

Is this serios?

Message 34 of 177
info
in reply to: dianeroy

Hey, they fixed the vertex paint bug in 3ds max 2017, i reported  six month ago.Smiley LOL

Bug fixes are the new release, is the new slogan. Smiley LOL

Message 35 of 177
Anonymous

well arnold is nice.

i tried mental ray but i never really used it.

maybe arnold will be better for my needs.

but what about plugin compatibility? will we need recompiled plugins?

and i agree we need something like multiscatter build into max.

and better nurbs (hell i wish for better nurbs in 3D max since beyonce was a baby).

Message 36 of 177
vusta
in reply to: dianeroy

it would help a lot when ppl say it crashes all the time for me or it's rock solid for me to include whether they are on win 7 or 10 or whatever...so far to me 2017 + win10 is a terrible combo...

Message 37 of 177
stephen.d.green
in reply to: vusta

Win 7 and 2017 for me has been fine.

Message 38 of 177
BrianBradley8572
in reply to: info

The guys who really need to hear how unhappy Max users are would be Marc Andre Ferguson and Chip Young, as THEY are the real decision makers for Max and M&E tools, not the Max PM OR the Dev Team.

Message 39 of 177
vusta
in reply to: stephen.d.green

me too (win 7)...and i ain't budgin'

Message 40 of 177
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianBradley8572

well i guess it´s harder to get new stuff into max than maya.

i could be completely wrong but i think i read something like that from a developer years ago.

and with dev teams shrinking at autodesk... what too expect?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report