Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsmax 2018 - Excuse Me, i seem to be looking at 2017

176 REPLIES 176
Message 1 of 177
jacob
13414 Views, 176 Replies

3dsmax 2018 - Excuse Me, i seem to be looking at 2017

Dear Autodesk.

Thank you for my update email. I have downloaded and installed my 3dsmax update. I do however seem to be looking at 3dsmax 2017 with arnold included. Is this correct?

You need to get your new feature list online pretty darn quick because i cant see anything other than Arnold in my maintenance subscription update i just installed.

I think you may get just a smidge of backlash about this update if that's all it is, given ourselves and i think many others have moved onto Vray or Corona or FStorm or many other 3rd party renderers.

Screenshot 2017-04-12 13.38.05.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.42.25.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.38.11.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.38.08.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.34.12.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.37.53.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.36.11.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.35.55.pngScreenshot 2017-04-12 13.34.34.png

176 REPLIES 176
Message 41 of 177
BrianBradley8572
in reply to: gothmoth

Simple matter of executive choices ... NOT anything to do with the software. Look at the list of big name plugins that were made for Max long before they had a Maya version!

Message 42 of 177
gothmoth
in reply to: BrianBradley8572

what i meant was more integral parts like a proper fluid simulation etc. the really big stuff.

look how long they worked on the viewport.. and it is still not really good.

if something is meant to be modular (planed from the start) like for example prman than it´s easier to code for it.

and i think i read maya is more modular than max.

Message 43 of 177
pavel.3dtv
in reply to: jacob

Glad to hear about new max.

So, 2018 it's now fixed 2017, or it's not fixed yet?

Is there gpu accelerated animation curves and possibility to save/load ui schemes without their crashes?

Message 44 of 177
BrianBradley8572

The fact that they sacked the entire Max team who were working on the Nitrous viewport (Shanghai) LONG before it was finished has a LOT to do with that. 🙂

Message 45 of 177
OccultMonk
in reply to: pavel.3dtv

I don't even think it's a good buiseness desision to let Max Die. Why would I want to switch to Maya? Autodesk just destroyed my 15 years of accumulated knowledge. Creating a common core and code base for both 3dsmax and Maya would have been a very big investment and long term project, but it would have allowed users to retain their workflows. 3dsmax has such a great user community with plugins and scripts that almost no other application had. Now it is being overtaken on all sides. Even Maya seems to lose customers to Houdini.

Message 46 of 177
Ihno

Haha the Maya users actually think its maya which is getting worser and worser.
And the viewport performance of max is one of the best in industy. Way better than maya. But also better than modo and blender from what I heard.

Message 47 of 177
gothmoth
in reply to: OccultMonk

autodesk will not kill max. why should they?

it makes them money.

a car manufacture does not just build one car either.

And the viewport performance of max is one of the best in industy.

really?

what i am doing wrong?

with heavy scenes it often takes 10+ seconds until an object is selected.

for example i just work on a a scene with 20000 coins and massFX.

when i want to select one of the coins it takes ages until it is selected. 

Message 48 of 177
OccultMonk

They will not kill it, but they will also not save it. It will just exist in limbo, slowly becoming irrelevant.

Message 49 of 177
gothmoth

can someone answer my two questions?

1) does arnold support GPU rendering?

2) do we need recompiled plugins?

Message 50 of 177
gothmoth

yeah well i am not sure... people saying that forever

but afaik the number of 3d max seats still increase.

Message 51 of 177
Swordslayer
Message 52 of 177
NilsWille
in reply to: bertrandbenoit

@bertrandbenoit wrote:

... The good thing about this is that it makes one feel pretty good about dropping maintenance and not getting on board with subscription.

Yeah, I think it is time to abandon the maintenance and see 3ds Max 2018 as an effective EOL for me.

I just hope that 2018 will be solid, but I have this nasty feeling that they wont cure the bugs before a 2018.1 release and my maintenance will probably have lapsed by then. I feel more as a hostage than a customer to be honest. I wonder why. 

Message 53 of 177
SuperRune
in reply to: Swordslayer

Some more first impressions here:

While it's pretty awesome to have Arnold instead of MR, at this point Arnold supports almost none of the existing materials or textures in 3ds Max. No gradients, no noise texture, not even the standard material! The only textures supported are Bitmap, Checker, Marble and Substance. In addition to the Physical Material, only the multi-materials seem to be supported. Arnold comes with a staggering amount of low-level textures and utilities, though - and those look super-powerful (a TON of math nodes!). But anyone looking to convert scenes with procedural textures are going to tear their hair out.

I'm very interested in rig playback, so will be checking that later.

Message 54 of 177
pavel.3dtv

>> Creating a common core and code base for both 3dsmax and Maya would have been a very big investment and long term project, but it would have allowed users to retain their workflows.

Yeah. I'm telling them same thing. It's the only way to save these apps and make them better. First - unified tools with connectors, then unified core, then new unified/customizable ui. Because at this point it seems like coders are very limited with obsolete x32 core features, maxscript, overall ideology.

It must be very flexible to create new tools, adapt to technologies, hardware capabilities. With high and low level approaches to projects.

Message 55 of 177
jcdeblok
in reply to: SuperRune

enabling the 'show uncompatible' will fix that for most.. long story why it is that way 🙂

@superrune wrote:

While it's pretty awesome to have Arnold instead of MR, at this point Arnold supports almost none of the existing materials or textures in 3ds Max

Message 56 of 177
SuperRune
in reply to: pavel.3dtv

@pavel.3dtv wrote:

>> Creating a common core and code base for both 3dsmax and Maya would have been a very big investment and long term project, but it would have allowed users to retain their workflows.

Yeah. I'm telling them same thing. It's the only way to save these apps and make them better. First - unified tools with connectors, then unified core, then new unified/customizable ui. Because at this point it seems like coders are very limited with obsolete x32 core features, maxscript, overall ideology.

It must be very flexible to create new tools, adapt to technologies, hardware capabilities. With high and low level approaches to projects.

The amount of work to make that happen is just staggering! The core code for both packages are probably millions of lines of code, and they differ fundamentally in the way they work. Maya has probably the most elegant and simple core (check the dependency graph patent issued waaaay back), so merging the programs would most likely mean pushing 3ds Max aside. And despite all its issues, I still think 3ds Max is the superior package to work in.

I'd rather see someone build a new 3D package from scratch to compete with 3ds Max, Maya, Blender and Houdini. With some solid investor backing and a solid team of developers, I think the timing is pretty good for for an alternative to appear...

Message 57 of 177
SuperRune
in reply to: jcdeblok

@jcdeblok wrote:

enabling the 'show uncompatible' will fix that for most.. long story why it is that way 🙂

Weird! Looks like most textures are compatible! But not the Standard material, unfortunately.

Message 58 of 177
stephen.d.green

I wonder when some poor employee from Autodesk is going to stick their head above the parapet for this one?

Message 59 of 177
pavel.3dtv

Mostly agree. But anyway, one can't use obsolete architecture forever. Hardware evolves fast, there are new approaches everywhere.

I was looking for a software to switch to from max, but still there are  no superior candidates.

Message 60 of 177
Ihno

Yep but it takes 10 years to code such a big piece of software. Its not like Affinity and Photoshop..
Whenever the time would be great or not, I'm afraid no one who's not already in business right now will come up with something new and usable in the next years.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report