Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max seems to break .kbdx files when importing them

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
614 Views, 5 Replies

3ds Max seems to break .kbdx files when importing them

I don't know why, but 3ds Max has broken one version of a .kbdx file I tried to import from. I imported an earlier version and for some reason the shortcuts on that save came through.

It seems as though 3ds Max 2017 will destroy the first set of .kbdx files you try to import from.

I have included the .kbdx files that did not work, and I can also confirm that .kbdx files are changed when _importing_ for reasons I don't understand.

I'd also like to point out to anyone from Autodesk that may come across this post that the only reason I have not lost many years worth of keyboard shortcut customisations due to this is that I was suspicious enough of 3ds Max's stability that I have obsessively kept saves each time I make a single edit.

I don't have this level of paranoia about any other software I use.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
in reply to: 34563657

I have dredged up a backup of the kbdx file as it was before I tried to import and as it was after. They're different.

I'd like to assume that there is a good reason for this, but considering the fact that my keyboard shortcuts didn't import properly, and wouldn't once they failed the first time with that particular file, I can only surmise that 3ds Max is doing something quite stupid with these saves.

Funnily enough, the shortcuts import correctly from the save I retrieved from my backup.

My advice to anyone that stumbles on this in future if (while) it doesn't get fixed is to duplicate your .kbdx file before you try to import it. That version may get trashed, then try again with another copy.

Message 3 of 6

Hello @34563657,

Are you loading .kbdx files that came from 2017 or from a prior version?  I've been looking into this and the information that I have found suggests that the primary use is to backup shortcuts for the same version of 3ds Max in the case you need to reset your ENU folder at any point.  Ideally they can be loaded between versions of 3ds Max but if there are major changes to UI (like in 2017) then they may not be fully loadable.  This also happened after 2013 (I think it was 2013) when the format went from .kbd to .kbdx.  So there may be some cases where loading them into a newer version of Max doesn't fully work.  

However, if these are saved from 2017 it should be working properly.  Are these saved from 2017?  

Best Regards,

Message 4 of 6

Hello @34563657,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 6
xibad4
in reply to: 34563657

I can confirm this also happens to me as well when trying to import Max 2015 kbdx into 2017. For some reason, the kbdx file gets corrupted and the keyboard shortcuts don't get fully loaded into Max 2017. I will try to recreate them again in 2017, saving and loading and seeing if that works.

Message 6 of 6
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: xibad4

Hello @xibad4,

Yes I think you are going to have problems between 2015 and 2017 due to all the UI and backend updates.  Again, my understanding is that this tool isn't really meant to load the settings between versions (so if some of it works, great!) but instead to backup settings on the same version in case of settings corruption.  I know that's a problem for some people but knowing this should help a bit. 

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report