Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max Front ,Side, Top, etc. View Hotkeys

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Couch_Potatoh
371 Views, 2 Replies

3ds Max Front ,Side, Top, etc. View Hotkeys

Hello, I am wondering if there is a way to hit a hotkey that will face my camera around my SELECTED object(s) and center the camera according to the hotkey I press. So if I have my object selected and hit a Front View hotkey, it will center my current selection and place it viewing from the front. 

Obviously there is a front view hotkey, however pressing it will center the camera to the origin of the scene, rendering the button virtually useless. Let me correct this, I believe it centers the camera based on where my Front Viewport is looking. Still, I do not want to have to constantly move that around.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
RobH2
in reply to: Couch_Potatoh

What you are advocating is creating keystroke 'macros' and as far as I know Max is not capable of doing that. Maybe someone has written a plugin or some Maxscript to do it but natively I don't think you can. 

However, it's pretty easy to do what you need. Select your object and hit say, "F", to force the 'Front Viewport' and then just hit 'Z' to 'Zoom Extents Selected.' Your object will be placed in front of you. 

Select another object and then hit say, the 'T' key to force the 'Top Viewport.' Then just tap 'Z' again and voila, there it is for you. It couldn't be much simipler than just tap the 'Z' key. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 3
Couch_Potatoh
in reply to: RobH2

No this is near perfect for me. Pressing Z following the other view shortcuts is no problem at all.  You have saved me from many headaches!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report